In need of M-head "clock spring".

Wally:

Can you anneal the broken end of the spring and rework it?

Alan

In a recent fit of clumsiness or forgetfulness, I horsed a "clock spring" off its catch with too little skill and too much haste. This claw lookin' thing is supposed to be a slot that catches a hook in the OD of the spring housing. In intelligible terms, it's essentially the quill return spring.

View attachment 74521

If any one has one of these critters or knows how I can obtain one, I would be very grateful to know about it.

Many thanks.

Wally. :panic:

Well, back on line...finally. Had a hard drive crash.

It looks like Bridgeport or Bridgeport's supplier did just that, i. e., took a stock spring, annealed the area and drilled/punched/ground the hole. I'm going to try that first, Alan, and if it fails, proceed to the replacement solution (which I may have to anneal and drill, in the event).

Well, back on line...finally. Had a hard drive crash.

It looks like Bridgeport or Bridgeport's supplier did just that, i. e., took a stock spring, annealed the area and drilled/punched/ground the hole. I'm going to try that first, Alan, and if it fails, proceed to the replacement solution (which I may have to anneal and drill, in the event).

It is also possible that B'port bought spring stock and made their own. I've never worked with springs much but people who work on clocks and guns often know to make and repair springs: Here is one source for clock mainsprings:

http://timesavers.com/c-325731-cloc...ings-arbors-barrels-hole-end-mainsprings.html

Another source for spring stock is small engine recoil starters.

Alan

Back