In need of M-head "clock spring".

WallyM3

Registered
Registered
In a recent fit of clumsiness or forgetfulness, I horsed a "clock spring" off its catch with too little skill and too much haste. This claw lookin' thing is supposed to be a slot that catches a hook in the OD of the spring housing. In intelligible terms, it's essentially the quill return spring.

DSC_26310001.JPG

If any one has one of these critters or knows how I can obtain one, I would be very grateful to know about it.

Many thanks.

Wally. :panic:

DSC_26310001.JPG

We may have a winner here, Jim.

Two of the published dimensions in the link you provided match: 7/16" and 0.015+" thickness. I'll tape the wind and see how close we get.

Many thanks. Interesting source.

Here is another option for you. It comes as an assembly but, very reasonably priced.

Clock Spring

Thank you, Randy. Unfortunately, that's the J-head spring. In the past, these folks have been very reliable to deal with. I think I used them for 2 J-head springs (among other assorted B'port parts) in past recondition jobs.

IIRC, many parts worked on a 3hp, 48" SuperMax I once had.

Thank you, Randy. Unfortunately, that's the J-head spring. In the past, these folks have been very reliable to deal with. I think I used them for 2 J-head springs (among other assorted B'port parts) in past recondition jobs.

IIRC, many parts worked on a 3hp, 48" SuperMax I once had.

Well, it was worth a shot, I didn't realize the spring is different between the M and J. Thanks for the lesson.

Yea, there's virtually... no, literally... no interchangeability between the Master Milling Attachment (M-head) and the J-series attachments. The J-head spring has some serious power behind it compared with the little 7/16" wide M-head.

It would be my guess that the modular J-head spring assembly was at least partly inspired by problems encountered in the M-head at repair time. This is the 4th spring I've "modified" in my M-head related efforts.

I should probably do a little show-and-tell on this particular head as it has factory sealed bearings, something which one hears B'ports never had.

Don't think that I don't appreciate both your search and the link. You reveal a great source.

I should probably do a little show-and-tell on this particular head as it has factory sealed bearings, something which one hears B'ports never had.

This is a GREAT idea Wally. I know I would appreciate your time and effort in this endeavour. I am sure others would enjoy the learning experience as well.

Are you certain that it is a factory sealed bearing unit? If so, how can you tell?

I can tell by the drive assembly components.

The 99.99% of B'ports encountered employ "total loss" lube sustems. This requires drain ports in the upper bearing housing to allow oil/grease to make it through the column and lube the bearings. This head has no holes on the housing.

Reason being is that it's a 12,000 rpm unit configured to work on wood (as an optional material), wherein an oil-free environment would be quite necessary.

There are other interesting features in this head, 'frinstance, it employs a flat drive belt rather than a "V" belt.

Probably worth some pictures any way. Possibly next week. Got a customer coming by shortly and the balance of the week is spoken for, too.

Probably worth some pictures any way. Possibly next week. Got a customer coming by shortly and the balance of the week is spoken for, too.

:thankyou: for ALL the very good info. OOOHhh yeah, we need the photos. And then, you are going to make us wait for them? :nono:

Good stuff, keep it coming. Thanks again Wally.

Back