Improving the Atlas-Craftsman 101-07403 and 101-07301

Whoa that thing looks like a beast! I looked at that link, there are some pretty interesting things on there. I just want to confirm, you made that right? Any experience ordering from that site? Thanks again,

Vulcan

A friend has a Bridgeport mill and he machined the cross slide for me. I had a good experience ordering my cross slide. I have also read on several forums that the owner Andy is good to deal with. As I mentioned it raised my compound about 1/4" which raised my QCTP higher than I like. It also was harder to tighten the compound down using the button that you see at the back of the cross slide. I made a button that was about 3/4" high and put degree marks on it all 360 degrees. I then used a 10" lathe compound. This really stiffened up the lathe.

The crossfeed screw assembly off of an Atlas/Craftsman 12 inch commercial lathe has the big dial and the whole assembly will retro on the older lathes.

There are two versions, late 1957 through 1967 and 1968 through 1981. And if you upgrade the cross slide, you should also upgrade the compound slide, which uses the same larger dial. The latter version (on lathes that have the lead screw slip clutch and lever actuated cross feed) is the better of the two. You will need the complete assembly including the screws and bearing with bushings (cross feed) or bearing plate (compound). The only parts that are the same as on the 3/8" bed 10" or 12" are the cranks, ball crank nuts, cross feed gear, and Woodruff keys.

Back