Improved readability of dials and other lettered surfaces...

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Clockmakers use lacquer sticks to fill in the letters on old clock dials to make them more readable.
The same principle can be used on dials and other surfaces with lettering to improve contrast:
Lacquer-Stik, a solid paint stick made for filling engravings can be used. It is available from many sources at prices from about $1.70 to $3.50 a stick. To use it you have to cut off a thin slice from the end where the paint has dried, or simply rub it on with the stick, then rub in into the lettering using your finger. Just wipe off the excess with a paper towel afterwards. It takes a day or two for the paint to completely cure, but you just have to be a little careful with it and you can use it right away. The paint sticks come in a variety of colors and can be used to renew the engraving on machinery dials also.

Lacquer.jpg

You can buy lacquer sticks at clock repair suppliers like www.TimeSavers.com or http://www.micro-tools.com/store/SearchByCategory.aspx?CategoryCode=PAI or at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...tag=acleint-20

Nelson

Lacquer.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great info Nelson... Are those your projects?

John

Haven't done it for myself yet, but I have a couple of lathe dials and milling machine dials I will definitely fill.
My eyes aren't what they used to be.

The clockmakers lacquer stick is often heated and then applied to the dials of clocks.
The lacquer flows into the grooves and hardens. Excess is scraped off.

Another technique used by Jim Kull to do the raised lettering on the plates on lathes is to use thick paint and then scrape the top layer
of paint off with balsa wood.

When my machines are together, I will do this at the end.

Nelson

China markers (aka: grease pencils) work well also and can be found at most office supply, big box and hardware stores. And you don't have to wait for it to dry like paint before handling.

China markers (aka: grease pencils) work well also and can be found at most office supply, big box and hardware stores. And you don't have to wait for it to dry like paint before handling.

I used to think that grease pencils worked well (in fact I vaguely remember posting this)... That is until the least bit of cutting oil get's on it. The grease pencil just dissolves out of the lettering. Ughhh! I would suspect that the lacquer pencils may also be less than desirable in this regard as many oils soften lacquer.

Nonetheless, it's a great technique on old radio panels, etc.

John

When you are done, coat the dial with clear lacquer (they sell it as a spray for brass to keep it from tarnishing) or clear nail polish to keep it from dissolving.

Nelson

Great post. I just today had a need this will fill.

Jeff

There are numerous makers of paint pens for the crafts market, an for metal marking - like you see on rough bar stock in the supply yard - that i have used to fill engraving. Some are lacquer, some are enamel, some are Dykem. All work pretty well.

Remember that as soon as you get the final product the way you want it, "lock it in" with the clear spray lacquer made for brass hardware.

If you overspray the handles, wipe them clean so that you don't lock them up, or better yet, put painter's tape on the swiveling parts before you spray the dials.

Nelson

Back