Improved Knurling tool

Chris Hamel

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
The last time I used my knurling tool, I began to realize I was putting a lot of pressure on my spindle and bearings. My lathe is a 1937 9 inch South Bend, so my bearings are not perfect and it seemed this kind of pressure would not be kind to them. Anyway, a fellow member and friend, sent me a picture of his knurling tool which clamps on the top and bottom of the part. Using his picture, I made my new and improved knurling tool.

20170122_153119.jpg

That's a good idea I've been concern about the same thing and that seems to be the answer .

Nice. Not as pretty as the Eagle Rock knurler, but a lot easier to change knurls. Wonder how the bolts will hold up?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the comments. I am a little concerned how well the bolts will hold up with the hardened knurling wheels running on them, but hey if they start to wear out, they are cheap and easy to replace.

am a little concerned how well the bolts will hold up with the hardened knurling wheels running on them, but hey if they start to wear out, they are cheap and easy to replace.

I had hardened drill rod wear out. I now use HSS. It can be bought in rounds. I use 4-40 pan head screws to hold the shafts in. Just drill and tap next to the existing hole close enough that the head of the screw keeps the shaft from coming out.

Oh, I like that. The Eagle Rock knurler uses pressed-in pins that make changing knurl a royal pita. They do have a "heavy-duty" version with pins held in by set screws, but pretty pricey.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Back