Import Endmill Sets

It is probably a "Luck of the Draw" situation. I bought a set from Enco about 2 years ago. I am still using most them. I screwed up one trying to cut some 316L to fast. I use them on projects that aren't too challenging :))

Randy

What I buy depends on what I am doing. I have a number of very high quality endmills and a bunch of much less expensive ones. The job dictates what endmill is used and what I buy for the job. What really sucks is when you chuck up a $35 end mill and then rapid into a hold down because you forgot to put that location into the G-code.

I buy the boxed sets from HF when I have the 20% or 25% off coupon. I keep 2 or 3 boxes in the tool cabinet for general use, and if I break or burn one up I'm not out much.

I got almost all of my end mills in lots of eBay. Some new, some used but good and some chipped/ worn. Worked out about a dollar each and i ended up with a really nice selection of 2, 3 and 4 fluters in different widths and lengths and a couple of roughers too. Not the option for everyone but it worked out okay for me

I have some of those same endmill sets and they're fine. Heck, I think they're 4+ years old and still have most of them. Like anything else, use them within their limits and all will be well. They wouldn't stand up to really heavy use or on hard metals so just take moderate cuts on soft steel or aluminum and be happy. I happen to be a big fan of carbide (especially the TiALN coated ones) but the TiN coated HSS types seem to work better on aluminum. Don't be fooled though, you still need some kind of lubricant or kool mist etc to prevent weld-up. That TiN coating just provides some resistance to chipping.

Those little boxes... I wish they'd save their resources and just supply them wrapped in wax paper or cheap plastic tubes. I'd feel really guilty throwing all those boxes out. I've given away as many as possible -my wife is maxed out with them and I need to find another victim to give them to...

Ray

Back