I'm thinking about buying a welder- what type should I get?

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
What type of welder should a beginning welder buy?

Should he buy new or used?

What should he get with it?

Thanks!

Nelson

Nelson, it really depends what you want to do with it. Each has it uses and limitations. A simple stick welder is good if you are outside where the wind blows (which would blow away the shielding gas) but doing real thin stuff is harder. A small 110v unit like a Miller 140 is good for the average hobby welder but again has its limitations and with a spool gun can even do aluminum. If you get a 110v unit make sure it is set up for gas just in case you might need it in the future. Some are just flux core. I might suggest you take a beginning welding course at the local adult ed class where you can use a variety of welders. Usually they are free to low cost. Nice because you can burn up their rod and use their gas.
As far as new or used it's kind of a mixed bag. I've had some nice used units but more than often the used stuff has been abused. My motto is "If they don't take care of the outside they probably didn't take care of the inside". I just purchased the Miller 211 which is 100v and 220v for the heavier stuff, but I also have a miller ac/dc stick welder and a tig.
But I want to die with the most toys.

like Rusty said depends on what you will be welding. for thin stuff go mig or tig for the heavier stuff go with the arc or mig

As mentioned, it all depends upon the type of work one wants to do. I started out with Oxy-Acetylene tanks and later on, a Lincoln 225 AC (Tombstone) welder. It was good practice. If I had to start nowadays, I'd still get the O-A tanks and torches but I'd start out with a 120V MIG, either a Lincoln, Miller or Hobart, e.g.

The O-A tanks are great for cutting until you can afford a plasma cutter and the MIG will do most smaller fab. projects. With a CO2 tank and a jar of welding gel, you can do some awfully nice work. I found MIG very easy to get going with.

Assume rank newbie, wanting to weld together some mild steel to make a frame as a newbie project. First, would it be MIG or TIG or something else? Next, would it be cheap new, good used. What would you get to practice on that could afford to be ruined.

Nelson

Nelson id go with the mig welder! as far as new VS used question id go with a good condition used one

Yea a 110v mig with gas. The Miller 140 or similar is a good choice. The new autoset is over-rated. If you go gas use c-25. Much cleaner than co2. Miller has some good training stuff on their site.

On the 140 (110v) I had the autoset didn't work properly unless you had a dedicated 20 amp line. If the amperage dropped I got a lot of 'stubbing' with the wire feeding too fast. You probably don't get the amperage drop with the 220v.

Ok, I will check out the Miller 140's on their web site and see what all is involved. I just know what my wife will say. "Gas, you will blow up the house". That's why women don't get ulcers, they're carriers. Just kidding of course. ;-)

Best.

Nelson

Back