Im new, (here are my tiny machines)

JImmyhackers

Registered
Registered
hello all, im new

i got myself a lathe and mill of the very cheap variety a while ago (emco/unimat copy) , suprisingly capable. thought id come on here and see if i can learn some new stuff, show off my machines, and what mods ive done to make them usable.

just checking im in the right thread section? and that there isnt a specfic one for my "brand of machine"

thanks
jim

p.s. the seocnd pics how my lathe is configured currently.

Attachments

• 20220612_114538[1].jpg
    20220612_114538[1].jpg
    623.6 KB · Views: 217
  • 20230304_154144[1].jpg
    20230304_154144[1].jpg
    752.5 KB · Views: 215
Welcome, Looks like a nice setup you got there!

Interesting machine- I haven't seen those on these shores
What is it called?
-Mark

Welcome to the forum. Nice machines. I like the CD collection and the dust pan too!

Edit: is that a Mills Brothers CD I saw? That takes me back!

Don't be afraid to ask any question no matter how simple you may think it is. We are a friendly bunch. People who really know their stuff will give you good answers to whatever questions you may have.

they are modern emco/unimat clones from china. With brand names such as "toolthefirst" or "shenzen zhyouyu intelligent technology co/ltd"
The only difference is its aluminium v-slot extrusion instead of t-slot.... and numerous important parts like the chucks etc are made of lower grade zinc alloy metals.

im pretty sure they are meant as childrens educational toys. but with a few mods (mainly thrust bearings in lead screws and extra "rigidity" plates) they become quite capable machines. will cut brass and alluminium fine, just about capable with softer steels.

Every now and then you can find 2nd hand emco/unimat parts that will fit.....like a nice m12x1 thread lathe chuck and jacobs drill chuck, which are a great addition.

I did look into getting a more expensive mini "steel" machines, but what i would of spent on just a lathe or a mill without tooling would of cost what both of these put together with tooling cost.

Back