Im looking at some surface grinders

618 micromaster ? fully tooled up and taken up to Herkimer ?

Definitely the Chevalier they last nearly for ever and have great reputation. I own a B&S Valuemaster 6X12, I paid 3K$ for it - Surface grinders are very rare here in the North. A used Chevalier goes for 6-8K$ up here.

This is the machine you need......
CB3819_01.jpg

That looks like the one we have at work. Never seen it run.
Are they both 6x18? That's a consideration also. The 6x18 size would be nice. I don't think there is anything special about the Chevalier. Taiwan made. We also have one of those at work, never seen it run.

I have a B&S 2L surface grinder, same basic grinder as the 2B you are looking at, but with power feeds and power traverse, all mechanical. Made in 1946, got it from HM member Benmychree. It has the plain bearing spindle, not the ball bearing spindle which was the other option. I cannot tell which spindle the one you are looking at has from the photo posted. The plain bearing spindle on mine was apart and needed to be rebuilt. I was able to do that by cobbling together a poor man's "clean room." The spindle was full of grit and other junk, which was causing it to lock up. It is built with a very slight taper which is carefully adjusted for a tiny clearance between the spindle and the bronze bearing blocks. I was able to get the spindle working properly. Everything else on the grinder, including the amazing mechanical clockwork that moves the traverse and table, were all operational. The 2B has simple mechanical controls, which are not complicated at all, but should be checked carefully for wear, as should all used surface grinders. Grit is the silent killer of surface grinders. Take the table off (lifts right off, only held on by gravity) and look for signs of grit, worn ways, and any missing grit shields.

I did a CNC conversion on that exact Chevalier 618 as my capstone mechanical engineering project in college. It is a really nice machine if in good shape. Uses ball bearings for the table ways and has a belt that drives the table. Motor is 3 phase I am pretty sure. A VFD would fix that issue for you.

Here's a good discussion on the matter:

i just recently got my Reid 2c grinder up and running after a clean and rebuild. I would get the Chevalier just for the coolant. These things make a big mess for sure.
Yes it can be delt with but that is another project in itself.
I paid $400 for the one I bought and have more than that into items to make it work, bearings and a VFD just to name a couple.
Joe

Attachments

• 20200131_143849.jpg
    20200131_143849.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 111
  • 20200131_143849.jpg
    20200131_143849.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 103
I would not own a surface grinder without automatic deed, all that cranking would take all the fun out of it, and as has been previously said, coolant is a big plus, both from the mess standpoint, and accuracy and finish; a B&S Micromaster is an excellent choice; I have seen a lot of them in the $2K range.

Back