Im looking at some surface grinders

I would not own a surface grinder without automatic deed, all that cranking would take all the fun out of it, and as has been previously said, coolant is a big plus, both from the mess standpoint, and accuracy and finish; a B&S Micromaster is an excellent choice; I have seen a lot of them in the $2K range.
I agree. My Micromaster had the forward/backward feed fail at one point, and it was WAY worse of an experience. I also can't imagine having to do the transverse feed myself either, I tried it at one point and decided it was stupid :)

I also get a little sketched out by the fact that these surface grinders make you reach over the spinning wheel to change the up/down axis. It seems to me that is somewhat dangerous?

Finally, I got my 618 Micromaster for ~$1000 a few years ago in fantastic shape. They are massive enough and heavy enough that they are REALLY tough to sell (plus 3 phase!). All of that adds up to me being the only serious buyer the seller had in 6 months! I'm guessing I could have paid 1/2 as much, but a $1000 Micromaster got me too giddy to negotiate.

Just to further complicate choice, the two I was seriously considering was a Chevalier and a small Taiwan benchtop a lot like the smallest Grizzly carries and what HF used to carry.
The Chevalier was extremely well tooled and was told it was little used. Pulled the table and the ways(not ball ways) were very worn and galled even though it seemed to be smooth. I think it was lack of lube whether from plugged the single point oiler nozzles being plugged or they never pumped it or never filled it, dunno. But that turned it to a fail as I don’t mind doing repairs but I buy machines to use not restore. It was $800 also. The guy was a good guy but I think he was going by what his dad told him as he didn’t know anything about the machine. So often stories are just that and to be verified.

Both grinders were 50mi away so I went by and checked out the little one too. It was new looking and in hindsight I believe it was basically NOS. It’s story was it was bought by a company and sat never used. When I went to try and check it the table was loose. Everything was loose. And after the Chevalier I was spooked so I bailed when maybe I should have dug a little deeper. This was a 6x12 with ball bearing ways. And I think after researching was the originator of the design but got knocked off by the Chinese before they could get a following and quit making them. The knockoffs are not as well made. For my modest use for it, it might have better fit my true hobby aspirations. I don’t own, have room for or a need industrial sized machines so this doesn’t really apply to the OP. But might to other hobbyists.

I agree. My Micromaster had the forward/backward feed fail at one point, and it was WAY worse of an experience. I also can't imagine having to do the transverse feed myself either, I tried it at one point and decided it was stupid :)

I also get a little sketched out by the fact that these surface grinders make you reach over the spinning wheel to change the up/down axis. It seems to me that is somewhat dangerous?

Finally, I got my 618 Micromaster for ~$1000 a few years ago in fantastic shape. They are massive enough and heavy enough that they are REALLY tough to sell (plus 3 phase!). All of that adds up to me being the only serious buyer the seller had in 6 months! I'm guessing I could have paid 1/2 as much, but a $1000 Micromaster got me too giddy to negotiate.
I got you beat, I got my Micromaster for free!

... The guy was a good guy but I think he was going by what his dad told him as he didn’t know anything about the machine. So often stories are just that and to be verified...
Very similar to the phrase "Selling for a friend". Anyone using that or something similar is saying up front that they accept no responsibility for anything. Buyer beware.

Back