I'm getting a Bridgport mill - can you help identify it?

Hmmm.... Yes, I thought the bottom looked different from other pictures I've seen than what J head searches turned up. Once I get moved from the basement it is in I'll be getting more pictures, etc. I'll need to figure out what small pieces are missing from the rod that goes across the front of the table - it's for the power feed, looks like it would trigger a stop or reverse direction. But I know something is missing, since the left end is kind of hanging there.

Yup. That rod along the front is the stop for the power feed. Mine has a couple hangers holding it loosely along the table. There is a bracket on the saddle toward the center. That's the trip. There are little set screw collars you tighten on the rod. When they hit the bracket on the saddle, they push the direction selector to disable the power feed.

The motor and gearbox are pretty strong. Make sure you don't bind it up. Something will likely break.

Here's a pic of mine. You can see the parts I mentioned, the trip bracket is under the vise a bit.

20180622_173051.jpg

If you look at the picture of # 1 in the middle of the saddle is a upside down looking T. The one you have should have a hole running cross ways in it that a 3/8" (or so) rod runs through it and the are small moveable clamps on it and the right side end had a horse show swivel clamp on it the attaches to the power feed directional handle and when the table moves to the limit the clamp hits the side of the up side down T and that pulls the rod and switches the power feed lever to neutral.

Under a plate with a gravity feed oiler that is on top of the feed box is a pointer that has a spring in it and the pointer is a detent plunger so the feed lever stays put in left feed / neutral / right feed. The round clamps on side of table on # 1 are positive stops as that machine didn't have power feed. When the table moves to the end of travel the round Tee Slot Clamp hits the upside down T. Pretty simple. The older bases were a lot heavier then the newer ones. Im guessing the machine weights 2500 pounds. If you can remove the ram saddle from the column. I used to figure a regular or standard J head machine weighted a ton or 2000 pounds.

Also your machine looks like it has the 30" table the old round arms had. That might make it 100 pounds lighter then the more modern 42" table.

Hopefully it's a walk out basement, if not might be smart to pull the table, saddle, knee and as I said the ram saddle. If you pull the knee, unscrew that slotted screw in the middle top of column as that's a dead stop top limit screw. There is another on screwed into the back of the knee.

Last edited:
Yes, walk out basement. Paved path up to the level the garage is on, but kind of steep. Also, too narrow for a good sized vehicle, and no real space to get a trailer at the bottom, level, and arranged in a way it could be winched on. So first step will be winching it up to the garage, then finagleing a truck & trailer to haul it to my house. Once it is here, moving it outside is nothing, see my avatar. I have a walk out basement, with a 6' wide door, so roller pipes and such to get it inside and into position.

I've seen a bunch on here about how to check for wear, etc. so I'll inspect all that. It was being used by the previous owner to the guy who has it now for making custom golf clubs. It does not look heavily used, not that that means a lot....

Reactions: Z2V
Got the machine moved up from the basement to the garage. Had a little time to check for play in the X / Y, seems pretty tight [not loose and wiggly ] and even along the travel.
Moving Bridgport1.jpg

How far did you have to move it on the pipe rollers? We do what ever it takes to get the job done.

30' out of basement, 30' from behind to side, 50' up the hill. Pretty steep hill. Another 30 back to the side to line up with the garage bay.10' back into garage. Once it is in my yard, the big yellow thing in my avatar will move it from the trailer to within 10' of my basement door. Then rollers about 60' into it's place in the basement.

Reactions: Z2V
That will be one very satisfying job once the machine is in place. That’s a long way to go on pipe. I’m sure all the help knows to keep the fingers clear of the pipes as they are moving them, work safe.
BTW, welcome to H-M
Keep us posted on your progress.

Back