I'm curious about my mill tram

Sounds about as good as possible with what you’re using. Now repeat by checking the vise bed.

I'm not sure if I want to mount the 6" kurt, or the 4" Glacern, and what placement on the table.

My friends came over to look at the new mill, one of them is the Community Collage instructor(ret) for the machine shop. He asked what vise I was going to use, and we ended up using the Kurt 6". He saw that I had the swivel base on the side as well, and wanted to install it, so I gave in to peer pressure, and it is on. It can be removed if I don't like it. I also made use of the new set of precision ground stones I got from Lance, awesome technology, and easy to figure out, you can see the high spots. So, the table is trammed, the vise is trammed, and I have 20 handles to drill, but I don't want to get the mill dirty, OMG :rolleyes:

Take off the swivel base unless you frequently need to make angled cuts. I have keys in the bottom of my vise. That way I don't have to tram the vise each time I mount it. Usually I just loosen the T-bolts and slide the vise to the end of the table when using the rotary table or indexer. Shars have keys that are considerably less expensive than Kurt. My swivel base sits on a shelf. I do not remember the last time I needed it.

Yes I've had it for awhile, and not needed it, so I just followed along. I may leave it just to see if it's there I might use it, we'll see how it goes :)

I use the swivel base when milling for indexable tool holders. It makes it easy to mill for triangle inserts, for example. And occasionally I will rotate 90 to use the X axis power feed on what would otherwise be a lot of Y axis manual cranking. It’s a nice big compass rose, big divisions, and easy to get to small fractions of a degree, say half or fourths.

Last edited:
To get a good level of accuracy with the swivel table, set the index to zero degrees exactly, and tighten the vise bolts to the swivel. Then move the whole vise and assembly as a pair while tramming . Then tighten the swivel bolts to the table.

Try this, loosen the vise to swivel bolts then turn 90 degrees exactly on the swivel scale and run an indicator in the Y direction. I think you will be surprised at how accurate this is.

OK, I'll give that a try also

I'm not sure if I want to mount the 6" kurt, or the 4" Glacern, and what placement on the table.
I wouldn't use a 4" vise on that machine, a 6" kurt vise, or a no name copy is the way to go. The shop I worked at made their own aluminum jaws for them as well as steel jaws 4 inches tall for special jobs. We made vise stops that could be clamped on the back jaw and we made vise stops that bolted to the back of the vise. Here's a link to show you what I mean. https://www.ebay.com/itm/324491077830?_trkparms=amclksrc=ITM&aid=1110006&algo=HOMESPLICE.SIM&ao=1&asc=20200818143230&meid=2f829eca75ac4955a3a989632fe4342c&pid=101224&rk=2&rkt=5&sd=324128905162&itm=324491077830&pmt=1&noa=1&pg=2047675&algv=DefaultOrganicWeb&brand=HHIP&_trksid=p2047675.c101224.m-1

Back