I'm a sloppy machinist

I drilled into my brand new lathe vise yesterday but after reading your post I don't feel bad , it was a sloppy mistake any physicist would make, right?:p

Can't say that cleanliness or organizational skills are tops on my list , but safety is . Always think before you act . :)

I have some of the same problems. I’m working on mindset: measure twice, keep focus. Usually I make mistakes when I start thinking about something else, compounded when things take longer than I want. Aka getting in a rush.

If you are like me (and most of us) you'll find you do more of these things as the day grows long. When you get tired, mistakes happen more and more. At some point, I stop and just review everything I have done then go grab a beer and some supper. Sometimes I go back out and do more, but I set the bar lower after 5 pm and don't try to hold tight tolerances. This is performance art, after all- ya gotta be fresh
-Mark

Good decisions come from experience and experience comes from bad decisions! Take your time and make a checklist for each operation, try to approach it like a scientist would. I have seen cameramen tape a laser pointer to a camera head and trace a shape drawn on the wall using the hand wheels. It helps makes the moves instinctive. Be safe!

Also, remember, you are not alone. I have seen experienced so called professional machinists do every single one of the items you mentioned.
So in theory, you are way ahead of the learning curve.
Me too!

Now that is something I'll remember and repeat. I've never heard that.

Machine tools are the fastest way to take a part requiring exactly one more machining operation and turn it into a piece of junk.

Back