I'm a sloppy machinist

To me, there's something satisfying about doing precise work with semi-crappy machines. It's like if you gave Eddie a crappy guitar he'd make it sound great.
The challenge of using what ya got makes it more fun, somehow. Sure it would be great to have 100k worth of stuff but it wouldn't be the same

(RIP Ed, shouldn't have smoked so much)

Last edited:
To me, there's something satisfying about doing precise work with semi-crappy machines. It's like if you gave Eddie a crappy guitar he'd make it sound great.
The challenge of using what ya got makes it more fun, somehow. Sure it would be great to have 100k worth of stuff but it wouldn't be the same
THIS is the true crux of the biscuit!

It's the nut behind the wheel.

A carpenter doesn't blame his tools, etc.

I remember an story about the godfather of American mandolin David Grisman wanting a mandolin made by a luthier an the luthier was asking him specifics of the build. Grisman's reply was something to the effect, "make it pretty, I'll make it sound good".

From the threads here by old hands it became evident that it not always how nice or tight or unworn a machine tool is, it's whether you can be consistent with it and the machinist adapts.

THIS is the true crux of the biscuit!

It's the nut behind the wheel.

A carpenter doesn't blame his tools, etc.

I remember an story about the godfather of American mandolin David Grisman wanting a mandolin made by a luthier an the luthier was asking him specifics of the build. Grisman's reply was something to the effect, "make it pretty, I'll make it sound good".

From the threads here by old hands it became evident that it not always how nice or tight or unworn a machine tool is, it's whether you can be consistent with it and the machinist adapts.
That is the difference between a Machinist and someone that does machining.

Back