If you get tired of reaching for a wrench

Tozguy

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
After a bit of time even a newbie will discover some little conveniences. This is one of mine.
A 25mm six point socket was rigged with a handle and sits on the QCTP nut. If it gets in the way it just lifts off but most of the time it is sitting on the nut looking pretty (well to me at least). A 25mm socket seems to be a better fit than a 1'' socket.IMG_0074.JPG

I also did what you mention and is very handy and removable

machine shop container.jpg

Cool idea!

I have to say & I'm curious, nice expensive looking parabolic drill you got there. Whatcha deep drillin'?

Cool idea!

I have to say & I'm curious, nice expensive looking parabolic drill you got there. Whatcha deep drillin'?

I thought that was just a large taper pin reamer. Totally off topic, but what is going on in this setup? Thanks for the side view, btw!

:)
That set up was just to eyeball the alignment of the drill chuck and get a feel for the idea of holding drill bits in the tool post instead of the tail stock. I just grabbed the longest stiffest drill available for the exercise.

But while we are on the subject, those cement hammer drill bits are great when a larger bit is needed for lathe work. Prices can be quite reasonable. The tip has to be reground of course but once the geometry is sorted they work very well on steel if you don't mind clearing the chips often. The 3/4'' bit in the picture is longer than needed for most of my jobs but it was on sale.

Last edited:
I'm surprised at how many folks don't know about regrinding masonry drills for use in drilling hardened steel. About ten years ago I was working for a company that ran a job drilling drive dog holes into the side of various large-diameter roller bearing races. I was surprised to see them using solid carbide drills for this operation. The smallest/cheapest of these were over $30 each, dulled quickly, and often shattered. There was much excitement when I reground a $3 masonry bit and proceeded to drill something like ten holes with it!

Ghost, you are so right about those common masonry drills. I especially like how easy it is to grind them to a custom diameter (within reason).

Another big plus! You're pretty much stuck with the stock diameters of the solid carbide drills. The Hi-Roc drills seem to be something of a hybrid design and work well for many applications, but I'll still opt for a modified masonry bit most of the time.

Back