If I Buy A Tig Welder Can I Pitch My Mig Welder?

my 2 cents for what it is worth, i like tig alot, always had a good one to use, i would spend the money for a good tig. you can't beat their versatility for different needs if you need it and can handle keepin different gases handy. that said mig is probably handier for the quick thin welding or tackin that i find most common in my circumstances, and cheap migs are handy for that. i'm an older fella, (retired) and still can't get over how cheap you can get a good enough wire feed these days, small and pretty close to portable. that covers most of the mig i need anyway. but i'm not making a living, more like having fun and keeping busy enough to deflect the more problematic honey-do's.

Thanks Dragonheart I spent a couple hours looking at Everlast yesterday.

What is wrong with the Lincoln? Hack job? Does this welder have lift start? If it does, you can start off really quick and easy with a self-assembled kit. I think that there is a pointer to weldingtipsandtricks or something like that. Also, there is this fun guy named chucke2009 on youtube who goes through a budget self assembled system. All you need is a torch, hose, connector and tank. If you have a lathe, you can make the connector, but I bought mine. It kept me going until I got a real TIG welder. I welded a copper bracelet and ribs on an umbrella without burning the nylon. I have seen some good MIG guys, but none who can weld that fiddly stuff with a big MIG gun.

Stuff like this annoys me start at 1:16 in this video
so the TIG part of the unit is a bit of a hack job and you end up with cables hanging out the side of the machine with the panel open. I still can't find jus the TIG kit available for mine, it wasn't available when I purchased mine and it seems like all the TIG kits they are manufacturing now are being packaged for welders ordered with the TIG kit. So who knows when the kit will be in stock.

So my current thinking is rather than spend another $600 on the Lincoln TIG kit plus cooler and all the stuff that doesn't come in the kit I might just buy a TIG only machine that isn't a compromise. I'm currently researching other brands not Miller since discovering the $7,000 Miller is largely manufactured in China. Who knows I may still opt for the Miller Dynasty 280 DX but I will have to find a compelling reason to do so other than paying for the name. I can get an Everlast in the 250 to 310 amp range for $2,700. I don't know how much the torch, cooler, foot pedal, etc. will cost but I'm pretty sure it won't be the Miller price difference of $4,300. It has a 5 year warranty, I could throw it away in 5 years and buy another one for what the Miller would cost.

what would be wrong with buying a use Syncrowave 250? I bet you could locate one used for under 2K from a welder who is updating. Made in USA, still supported, lots of em out there with pretty good track record. The school I went to had them along with some ESAB that were pretty good. The instructor got to pick the equipment, he was one incredible welder and he really like the Syncrowaves.

michael

Michael, maybe I don't know I searched craigslist in my area yesterday and guys were asking like$4k for those.

Well Just about any good TIG machine should be able to run stick. With stick and Tig for a hobby shop One should be in real good shape. Mig is quick and easy, but limited like TIG by the whole gas thing.
Don't know that TIG will make prettier welds, I think that is up to the Welder.
I have a Lincoln 255 square wave runs stick and tig I also have a 120 V. wire feeder (not set up for MIG. Have all the parts just don't want to deal with the gas) I use for quick light-medium welding. But I tend to grab the TIG more and more. If I could have only one welder it would be a AC/DC Stick welder It can handle the widest range.
Just some thoughts.
Mark

Well after watching 2 hours of Welding tips and tricks videos my TIG drool went to 9.5 :eek: It was helpful, I don't think I need a 300 amp unit, I'm thinking around the 250 amp range or even a bit less.

Hi coolidge. I admit you are right. This is fiddly operation. Too bad it won't lift star without that silly foot pedal. And, now I see why the TIG kit costs ^600. It will be hard to make a simple scratch start setup yourself.

Back