If I Buy A Tig Welder Can I Pitch My Mig Welder?

coolidge

Active User
Registered
So I have the fairly new Lincoln 210MP welder that's been selling like hot cakes for $995. It promises the moon right MIG, TIG, and Stick and it seems to do MIG quite well. But the TIG seems to be a hack job design, not well thought out, limited in some ways and it will cost me another $600 to buy the TIG kit for this unit.

I am insanely jealous of the beautiful clean welds TIG leaves, that's what I want. So if a guy had a good quality TIG welder does he really need a MIG? I'm thinking of dropping $2k to $3k on a TIG welder that is designed to be a TIG welder vs a multi process machine like I have full of compromises. I suppose I'm not into the Lincoln that much and could keep it around but not if I'm not going to use it. If the TIG welder can do anything the MIG welder can I'll probably throw it on craigslist.

Each machine type has it's purpose. Normally the all-in-one machines don't do anything well. It depends on how much and the type of welding you need to do. For occasional quick job, yes the TIG would work, but I would not want to build a trailer frame with one unless it was aluminum. I use TIG on some of the more precision steel work. Thin sheet steel, stainless and aluminum are what TIG is made for. Welding a hook on a FEL bucket is not a TIG job IMHO, MIG or stick would do a better job and would be a lot faster. Heaver stuff, sometimes it's a toss up as to which welder I grab, stick or MIG. Because I have a pretty light MIG, anything over a 1/4 inch or so I grab the stick. For most jobs around my shop, I use the MIG. The best advice I can really give is to get proficient with all of the processes.

When I took welding class, actually an open shop for advanced students that I was invited to by instructor, I got to weld with any state of art equipment I wanted in any format. I loved the Tig, but for slapping something together of any thickness Mig or Stick win the battle. I see Tig as for finesse, delicate, precision type work. If you want single pass penetration spend a few grand on a nice Mig, if you are a farmer like me a stick with AC DC will be fine. I have a ten year old Thermal TSW 185. 185 amps Tig, 160 I think stick ac/dc, got lots of bells and whistles for Tig.

I am a farmer and a hack welder, I rarely even use the Tig any more. I have a factory reconditioned Hobart 175 mig that I use with Argon, or mix and do half decent work with, but when I work on the farm machinery I don't care about pretty beads, I want penetration, Stick wins. If I was doing lots of aluminum I would get a spool gun rig from Miller or Hobart in the 200Amp range and go Mig. Tig needs a boat load of Amps for any penetration. If you want pretty and precision ya go with Tig, if you need deep penetration Mig or stick. That is not just my opinion, its all I hear at the welding supply house and the community college when I use to go. I guess you need to define in your own head what you want to do, or fess up with yourself and admit you just want a new toy, nothing wrong with that, witness my lathe purchase of a couple months ago.

nice job on the power feed unit !!
cheers
michael

I was typing while Jim posted, he covered it well in less words

I'd say get the TIG machine first, and then let life decide if you need to keep the MIG.

Once you have a decent TIG machine and learn to use it well, you'll soon see how much (if any!) use the MIG rig gets.

My bet (as said by Jim and Michael above) you'll agree that each has it's place......

-brino

I use TIG on some of the more precision steel work. Thin sheet steel, stainless and aluminum are what TIG is made for.

Then its TIG for me, heavy farm typing welding would be rare. I'm more likely to be welding thin materials, stainless, and aluminum that need show quality welds and won't see heavy use. Another factor is controlling shrinkage and warping.

One thing I find highly annoying about MIG is I don't have much control over the filler metal it just pours into the weld. Try to go slower and it just piles up with poor penetration, too fast same thing. Crank the amps and yeah it penetrates and wets out but is a bit much to control, pause or try to finesse something and you get over penetration. Its like grip it and rip it at the one speed or else. On the other hand TIG looks more difficult in that you only have one hand to control the torch but I'm kind of used to that with all the soldering I have done over the years.

Since the Lincoln is paid for and I'd probably only get $500 to $600 for it I'm in no hurry to dump it. What I really want to avoid is wasting $600 buying the TIG kit for it only to be frustrated by its limitations vs a full featured TIG welder.

Last edited:
Jim and Michael are 100% on, but I would like to add one thing. I have Mig, Tig and stick welders and my preferred method for old rusty, oily, painted steel, that is less than 1/8", is oxy acetylene gas weld with a slightly reducing flame to reduce the rust back to the base metal.
I own an automobile repair shop and we do a lot of exhaust and frame repair and I find that there is no needed grinding or pre time required if I jump in and start gas welding. just my 2 cents. Bob

Its been mentioned several times, all welding processes have their place. If only owning one welding machine, then MIG wins. If you want more options, then TIG, but you will need to invest more money. I have never really cared for the "all in one"machines, though have witness nice work produced by them. I use the Mig 9 out of 10 vs Tig, but I seldom turn down a welding job.
Good luck,
PN

Sorry, I failed to mention that Tig welding is a PITA due to so much prep time and other variables that MIG is immune to.
Not trying to talk you out of buying a nice TIG, but to consider all shop welding 100% TIG will take Waaaay longer and more effort than MIG.
Again, the TIG is for special jobs ( you really didn't mention the type of work you do). BTW, a fine tuned MIG bead is pleasing to the eyes.
Good luck,
PN

Don't spend the money on the tig kit, it is missing AC tig. Like others, I would want a mig first. With more practice, maybe ignoring the easy auto instuctions, the mig will flow well.

Dave

So I have the fairly new Lincoln 210MP welder that's been selling like hot cakes for $995. It promises the moon right MIG, TIG, and Stick and it seems to do MIG quite well. But the TIG seems to be a hack job design, not well thought out, limited in some ways and it will cost me another $600 to buy the TIG kit for this unit.

I am insanely jealous of the beautiful clean welds TIG leaves, that's what I want. So if a guy had a good quality TIG welder does he really need a MIG? I'm thinking of dropping $2k to $3k on a TIG welder that is designed to be a TIG welder vs a multi process machine like I have full of compromises. I suppose I'm not into the Lincoln that much and could keep it around but not if I'm not going to use it. If the TIG welder can do anything the MIG welder can I'll probably throw it on craigslist.

Mig & tig can weld a lot of the same metals.
tig is the process for strange alloys, deepest penetration, precision welding- the process is slow and takes lots of practice to become proficient
mig can weld aluminum, stainless, & other steels, the penetration is reduced in comparison to tig, but it's a faster-easier process to learn and use and takes a lot less time to become proficient at.

tig is my favorite process, albeit slow

Back