IDing parts by casting number?

S

SCLead

Forum Guest
Register Today
I've got a rather short list of original SB parts I'm interesting in hunting down for my lathe, but don't know where to look for information on casting numbers. I've looked through the manuals and catalogs on wswells and vintage machinery, but all I've seen are annotations on drawings "Casting number here" with an arrow pointing at some location of a part. To the extent of what I can tell, these casting numbers do not match catalog part numbers, or any other number I can seem to find. Is anyone aware of a cross reference I can use to verify fitment if I find a part, be it on ebay, local classifieds, whatever?

I think not. From what I have seen, casting numbers are not relevant so far as being tied to part numbers.

Don't worry about casting numbers and instead look at part numbers. They are cast into most of the major parts also. You will usually see both numbers on the same piece.

So what's everyone's best practice if you're looking at an unknown part online that has pictures that don't include a part number? How can one determine if the part is compatible with a given machine, especially if the seller isn't knowledgeable as is common with estate type sales? Obviously asking for more photos is an option, but one that oftentimes doesn't receive a reply.

When I found the center rest for my 1941 South Bend Lathe, the part number was cast into it with a "125 -13".
When I saw that, I knew I had a genuine South Bend center rest for my 13" lathe.
I am attaching my source.

Attachments

• 19b.pdf
    4.9 MB · Views: 13
Back