Identification of an older lathe

andrew484

Registered
Registered
I recently purchased an older lathe off of craigslist. It is a smaller hobby/mini-lathe. There are no real identification stampings anywhere on the cast pieces. I was wondering if anyone might have any information of this lathe. I would like to get a tailstock for it that can accompany a chuck. I purchased an older craftsman tailstock but it looks as if I would need to have the base milled down to work with the lathe bed. I am currently in the process of setting up the lathe on a new table and rewiring the motor/switch.

image (60).jpegimage (58).jpegimage (59).jpeg

image (60).jpeg image (58).jpeg image (59).jpeg

I'm stumped- What is the swing? No backgears or threading/carriage feed besides the handwheel on the tailstock end, correct?

What is the spindle thread and diameter? Can you get the chuck off and measure?
These facts help greatly.

Bernie

I am not currently next to the lathe but I know it has a 6" swing. There aren't any backgears or threading feeds. I will see if I can remove the chuck and take a measurement of the spindle. Hopefully it isn't too seized on. I will mainly be using the lathe to turn a few bushings for a project I am working on. Thanks.

w226983771.jpeg
w225387795.jpg

w226983771.jpeg w225387795.jpg

I suspect that machine is one of two things.

1) Possibly an old Goodell-Pratt machine which would make it quite old. Goodell-Pratt made some very basic shop machines like that early 1900's to maybe teens or the like. However, the one detail that is glaringly absent this machine is the original Goodell-Pratt manufacturers tag that was secured to their products. This fact alone takes something away from the srguement for this being a Goodell-Pratt machine, though the machine certainly does bear a striking resemblence to their early lathes with no gear cutting ability, indexing on handwheels etc. Goodell-Pratt machines were very crude and only good for basic lathe operations with reasonable accuracy but nothing more, and that was how Goodell-Pratt advertised the machines back when too!
see here> http://www.lathes.co.uk/goodell-pratt/

or, more likely: Decades ago between the 20's to the early 60's there were routinely advertisments in Popular Mechanics and like publications of the day for machines like that which could be bought in a kit form fairly inexpensively and finished out and assembled by the purchaser. Really the purchaser was getting a box of castings which once finished could be turned into a machine like the one we see here. This is in fact what I suspect you have, a semi home made finish it yourself kit. Particularly since there are no makers marks or tags on the machine.

Or, as it would turn out, more likely that either of my first two suggestions would be an early AA , or also known as Double A Lathe sold by Sears as a Dunlop, and sold as a Double A, by others. Open this link and look at the first picture. More likely than not this is what you have. See the first pic. http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/page4.html

EDIT: NOPE, STILL WRONG. AA LATHES HAD V WAYS, NOT FLAT WAYS LIKE YOUR MACHINE. While the bed screams a Atlas, the machine screams Double A so now I have no clue who made the machine. I am starting to lean back towards a kit/U finish it type machine.

Are you sure the center that's in the tailstock spindle doesn't come out?

I do not want to offend you, but I think you should relist this machine on CL and find something different. This is not a real productive way to venture into the hobby of machine work. The most you will ever be able to do with this machine is perhaps make bushings or do some light turning or something like that. Before you know it you will have more time and money in this machine than you will ever be able to get back out of it, not to mention a lot of regret. Yes, you can learn some very basic lathe operations with this little machine but you will be hopelessly limited to how much benefit you can realize from this machine.

Again, not trying to be a downer though I am sure I might come off this way. Either way, best of luck with whatever you choose to do with this machine or any other.

I'm starting to think the same thing. I got the thing for next to nothing so I'll probably just keep it around until I find something bigger and better. For the mean time, all I really need it for is to turn out some bushings and spacers. It really looks like one of those Sears or Dunlop lathes you posted in the previous website links. Thanks for all the info.

That's not a lathe, that's a very fast lawn mower.

I am not currently next to the lathe but I know it has a 6" swing. There aren't any backgears or threading feeds. I will see if I can remove the chuck and take a measurement of the spindle. Hopefully it isn't too seized on. I will mainly be using the lathe to turn a few bushings for a project I am working on. Thanks.

View attachment 62893
View attachment 62894

- - - Updated - - -

I think it was just for turning and never for threading. I also think it would make one hell of a wood lathe.

I'm starting to think the same thing. I got the thing for next to nothing so I'll probably just keep it around until I find something bigger and better. For the mean time, all I really need it for is to turn out some bushings and spacers. It really looks like one of those Sears or Dunlop lathes you posted in the previous website links. Thanks for all the info.

Actually, my pop has one of those very primitive Goodell - Pratt lathes I spoke of earlier. In fact, it was my first exposure to a metal lathe as a child. I was fascinated with the crude little machine and of course most impressed with it's ability to cut steel and other alloy. My dad still has the machine and I will admit it was the only lathe my dad ever had. I will also readily add that I watched my dad make countless bushings with his crude little machine and in fact the little lathe saved the day many times when he and I both were working on some project or repair job requiring a bushing, spacer, or shoulder turned down on a bolt or other such small modification. I assure you while I suggested going another direction I will just as quickly add that as long as your demands are not too great a little machine like that can really be a lifesaver sometimes.

I recently purchased an older lathe off of craigslist. It is a smaller hobby/mini-lathe. There are no real identification stampings anywhere on the cast pieces. I was wondering if anyone might have any information of this lathe. I would like to get a tailstock for it that can accompany a chuck. I purchased an older craftsman tailstock but it looks as if I would need to have the base milled down to work with the lathe bed. I am currently in the process of setting up the lathe on a new table and rewiring the motor/switch.

View attachment 62890View attachment 62891View attachment 62892

this looks similar

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-MET...460?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4d142680d4

Back