Ideas for straightening coiled .006" Stainless Music wire ???

gunsmither

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Anybody have an idea how to straighten out coiled up fine stainless music wire? I've seen a lot of wire straightening devices on UTube, but nothing for very fine wire.

I want to make the wire straight for some small gun cleaning brushes I want to make once again. I've made them in the past, but the wire was always a bit crooked do to it being coiled up. I'd like to straighten it out in 6' to 10' lengths, 50 pcs. in a bundle. Each brush uses about 4" of bristle inside a 5/32" brass tube, and the bristles are renewable by pulling out some new bristles when buggered up to renew them after cutting off the frizzled ends. Each 4" piece has one end soldered to go into the tube, then the tube is crimped to form the brush end, and finished off on a fine belt sander to deburr.

Must be a way to do it. Any ideas most appreciated. Joe

I’m thinking (or possibly just imagining) that wire is straightened by drawing through dies. Okay, but 0.006” is a pretty small die so that won’t work. But then I wondered about two blocks of Delrin or similar lightly clamped together. The wire might or should cut its own groove in short order but still provide enough drag to straighten the wire? If you have lots it’d be cheap enough to give it a try…

-frank

I’m not sure if it works on music wire, but we used to straighten steel wire by clamping one end in a vise and twisting it with a drill.

Try a section, and rolling it between 2 hard surfaces, if you can get it straight enough for that. See if you can reverse the curve a little first by pulling it across a ledge.

You are going to run stainless steel wire down a rifle barrel?
Joe

Put one end in the vise, grab the other solidly with vise locks and give it many short, sharp tugs, the harder the better. It'll be straight after that.
I had to straighten some .047 wire, (not music wire), I'd take an 8' length, clamp one end in a vise fixed to a bench, and tighten a free (unattached vice to the other and yank the two vises apart. It worked a charm.

I subsequently made a five roll straightener, it's the devil to adjust, wants to put a different curve in the wire. But now wire that had a 24 in diameter coil now has about a 6 foot coil. I can't seem to adjust it beyond that.

Last edited:
Rolling between two plates is the classic simple way to accomplish this. Works great as long as you can get the wire to roll and not slide. Also may not work so well on really springy wire. I've done with run of the mill stainless and it worked fine. Could be tedious if you have a lot of wire. If you need long straight pieces would also be a pain.

Back