Id Help On Old Leblonde

fleckner's garage

Registered
Registered
Looking at this old lathe on CL, Guy is selling for an old friend who passed and knows nothing about it. I also don't know much about leblond lathes.

Can anyone take a stab at what model(swing size) and or vintage this lathe is. add just lists it as a 40in lathe. Looks like it has a single phase 220 volt motor which i assume is not original.

http://modesto.craigslist.org/grq/5717608648.html

Last edited by a moderator:
You had better get down to Manteca and look at it before Ulma Doctor reads the ad... 8^) Seriously, it does show some rust, and I don't see much that comes with it, but those are nice lathes. If you go and look at it, stop by for a cold one on the way back. If you need some muscle to help load it, find someone younger and stronger! Seriously now, willing to help...

You had better get down to Manteca and look at it before Ulma Doctor reads the ad... 8^) Seriously, it does show some rust, and I don't see much that comes with it, but those are nice lathes. If you go and look at it, stop by for a cold one on the way back. If you need some muscle to help load it, find someone younger and stronger! Seriously now, willing to help...

Ya I'm not into rusty machine tools but price might be right if it's mild surface rust. Little bit of a drive for me just to evaluate rust but maybe "ulma Doctor" wants to check it out for me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If the bed is in decent shape as this one appears to be in, you better jump on it! That's not a bad price they are asking for it after looking at one on eBay! Ken

Does anyone know what type of spindle mounting this lathe would have? As in what type of options are out there for face plate and different chucks.

It's a threaded spindle. The only option offered was "L" spindle nose. The chuck that is on there is too close to the headstock housing for it to have a "L" spindle nose.
Ken

It's a threaded spindle. The only option offered was "L" spindle nose. The chuck that is on there is too close to the headstock housing for it to have a "L" spindle nose.
Ken

Excuse the ignorance but are you aware of there are aftermarket chucks available in said threaded spindle that these lathes use?

Thanks

Excuse the ignorance but are you aware of there are aftermarket chucks available in said threaded spindle that these lathes use?

Thanks

Absolutely!

The threaded spindle on that Leblond is like a 2.125" - 5 TPI. Don't quote me on that, but recall reading that from one of the manuals floating around on the internet. A friend of mine has the same lathe and has commented of the thread size to me, too. You will have to thread your own backplates to match the spindle on the Leblond. There are no threaded back plates or chucks available new to fit that spindle. Threaded spindles are not new to me. I've dealt with many lathes over the years that have threaded spindles, as well as with both "L", "A", and "D-1" spindles of all sizes, too. I've made several chuck adapters in my younger years that had a A-20 back to fit a 24" chuck for machine tools that had a 12" hole thru the spindle.

Ken

Back