I woke up late and made my coffee too strong. Day is ruined.

wow, that's big, around here it's 8x10 and when they came around to re-access, my 10x14 got taxed yearly.
They tax you for uninhabitable storage space? That's a little bit of a reach. I'm taxed for plenty, but not for having a roof on my backyard shop.

They tax you for uninhabitable storage space? That's a little bit of a reach. I'm taxed for plenty, but not for having a roof on my backyard shop.
they used to not tax it if it looked like a doll house (kids play area), but now they tax that too. Funny, if you have gas storage tanks (the big humoungous ones that collapse as they are emptied , usually at refineries) they don't tax them because they are not mounted to the ground, but have a shed, which is not attached, and they tax you. WTFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!! the gas companies get away with murder.

wow, that's big, around here it's 8x10 and when they came around to re-access, my 10x14 got taxed yearly.
Ugh, NJ and taxes.

Beautiful state, but you guys get hosed on taxes so bad I cant believe people still live there outside of certain areas.

PA is a commonwealth and taxes are based on what the house cost to build and some formula with time as a component.

This protects the homeowner as the taxes dont go up appreciably over time as the older the property gets, the more work it will need.

We only get reassessed when we need a permit for remodeling the interior or adding SQFT to things like patios or structures.

Funny thing is no one ever does these type of jobs.

Nope, house has always been just like this since the day I purchased it, prove otherwise taxman.

My coworker lives in NJ.

His house is on 1/3 acre with 1600sqft of living space. He has one 10'x10' shed.

My house is on 3 acres with 2700sqft of living space. I now have a connex for the tractor and a 10'x20' shed.

We both pay around $6K in taxes and that with my area being arguably more desirable. IIRC he said my shed would cost him upwards of $100 per year as long as it was standing, and that is with no electric going to it.

Back when I build my first shop, I priced materials and, on a whim, visited a shop that did "portable" buildings that were built on site. They used a factory cut kit and were able to finish a shed cheaper than I could buy the materials! I would two floors (double ply and double joists) and added 12" overhang all around. Quick work! Used it for years after I wired, insulated, and sheetrocked it. A window unit did climate control.

Now I have a shipping container...

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Back when I build my first shop, I priced materials and, on a whim, visited a shop that did "portable" buildings that were built on site. They used a factory cut kit and were able to finish a shed cheaper than I could buy the materials! I would two floors (double ply and double joists) and added 12" overhang all around. Quick work! Used it for years after I wired, insulated, and sheetrocked it. A window unit did climate control.

Now I have a shipping container...

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk
Is shipping container better?

they must be pretty good, we have a couple of houses here made up of shipping containers.
search for shipping container homes, some of them are awesome

they must be pretty good, we have a couple of houses here made up of shipping containers.
search for shipping container homes, some of them are awesome
I have seen a few that are awesome, I also saw a few that were mostly buried and were using the ground to protect and heat/cool to some extent, the biggest problem with them underground is venting moisture .

I have seen a few that are awesome, I also saw a few that were mostly buried and were using the ground to protect and heat/cool to some extent, the biggest problem with them underground is venting moisture .
Interesting

Back