I want to convert a Band Saw to cut Metal

A while back I converted a 14" delta using a gear reduction box that worked pretty well. I since replaced it with a Walker Turner Wood/metal saw that I could not pass up for the price.

For what you want to do, cutting round stock repeatedly look into a horizontal metal cutting saw before going through all the trouble converting your wood band saw. It lets you clamp the metal and just let the saw cut. Will be much easier, safer and more precise.

Check Harbor Freight for their inexpensive horizontal band saw for metal. Don't forget you can sell your wood band saw on Craigslist to get part or all the cost of the inexpensive horizontal saw.

I'm with Cadillac. With one of their %20 off coupons you can get this - http://www.harborfreight.com/horizontal-vertical-metal-cutting-bandsaw-93762.html for just over $200 . While I am usually reviled by the tools available from HF I did pick up one of these when I needed a low cost solution. Now I have to admit that it has been some of the best money I ever spent and has paid for itself in many ways. There are also many tutorials for add-ons and improvements to be found on the internet if you want to go that route.

By the time you "convert" your wood cutting bandsaw and have custom blades made for it you'll most likely be in to it for more than the two bills the HF would set you back and you would probably have a "metal cutting" band saw that was marginal. The HF saw does what it should do almost out of the box.

Well worth consideration IMHO,

-Ron

I have never seen a bandsaw intended for metals that employed rubber tires, I have seen people use wood cutting bandsaws primarily for aluminum and in short order they had "Aluminum Impregnated Rubber Tires" which became lumpier until they failed, this is exacerbated by flood coolant or other cutting fluids.

This does not however address your questions about stock blade lengths or making your own blades.[/QUOTE

My Grob 4v-18 vertical bandsaw has rubber tires although I've never seen a horizontal one that did.
As far as blades, most blade suppliers will make them to whatever length you want. I custom order them for my vertical wood bandsaw that I converted.

IMG_20160405_1941205_rewind.jpg
I leave mine setup with a fine tooth blade for thin material and to save from having to change blades on my large saw

Re-reading the original question, I should add that I converted my band saw so that I could use it to cut shapes. I use a power hack saw for straight cut offs.

Enco and others list bandsaw blades of different lengths, I am able to get 7 foot 9 inch blades with a variety of TPI. My Delta wood/metal has guide blocks and a roller (ball bearing) backup both below and above the table, with the upper ones being adjustable vertically to over 6 inches. Also with a transmission (speed reducer shaft) the belts have to be changed.

Several threads have been submitted by machinists that used jack shafts to achieve the metal cutting blade speed. IMO the neatest one had a short jack shaft and a pulley system to accommodate each speed.

Have a good day!
Ray

Back