I want an ER40 collet chuck for my Atlas 618.

Pat of TN

Active User
Registered
So what in the world should I look for?!

Hey, guys. As I said, I am looking for an ER40 collet chuck for my 6" Atlas lathe. Spindle has an MT2 taper, and a 1" - 8 TPI thread.

I am not sure about which would be better - an MT2 taper shank, or threaded onto the spindle. For rigidity and such, I would imagine the taper shank would be superior. The only disadvantage compared to a threaded-mount would be passing stock through the spindle, but with only a .530" through-hole, that doesn't mean a whole lot...

Taper shanks are also more common, it seems. There are several on Ebay for around $50 to $60. I'm not sure what to look for as far as brand, maker, etc.. Any chance you guys might be able to help me out?

And trust me, I've attempted to make one... I hate to say it, but I just don't see myself taking all the time it would take to make one, especially on my little, tiny, under-powered lathe.

Anyway, have at it, guys. Thanks in advance.

All things considered, I would have to agree that the tapered shank is your best bet with your limited spindle bore. I would be afraid of the runout on a purchased threaded chuck. I did make my own for my Logan and am happy with the outcome. Making your own would help it be concentric with your spindle but may be a little tough to achieve on that size lathe.

Hope that helps.

Steve

I have seen one on a plate with a bolt pattern, that with a threaded backplate blank would get you there. I want to do this too. The only one I was finding is a back order till?? I hope someone else knows more. It would be easier to find a morse taper chuck, but I for one don't want it pugging up the spindle. I might settle for er32, you can find that fixture on ebay.

- - - Updated - - -

All things considered, I would have to agree that the tapered shank is your best bet with your limited spindle bore. I would be afraid of the runout on a purchased threaded chuck. I did make my own for my Logan and am happy with the outcome. Making your own would help it be concentric with your spindle but may be a little tough to achieve on that size lathe.

Hope that helps.

Steve

If you got a threaded blank and turned it true on your spindle you could put the collet fixture on the boss you just cut on your backplate blank.

I'm not sure what to look for as far as brand, maker, etc.. Any chance you guys might be able to help me out?

As far as the big quality name brands, I'm not aware of any that make them in MT2. Most make them for CAT, BT, NMTB, ISO, etc, tapers. Not many of them even make them in R8. I have Bison ER40 chucks in R8 & just to give you an idea I paid $135 for just the chuck, they have gone up since.

I've never used an Asian import ER chuck but I've seen good reviews of them, no brand names though. If I were in your shoes I would just buy from a reputable vendor like tools4cheap.net. They have the ER40 MT2 w/ collets set for $150. Or if you're looking for something a bit less expensive then ebay would be a better choice.

I choose to go with a backplate because the through hole was important to me. I also didn't buy a complete set of generic brand collets & went with Techniks collets. They are Taiwan made & inexpensive with great quality.

I recently mounted one on the lathe, I used the ER40 plate from tools4cheap.net, they're the only ones I have seen that have the ER40 size. It's very easy to make a backplate for it to fit your lathe & using the lathe. You don't need a mill to drill the holes, a drill press or even handheld drill would do fine. After I mounted mine I measured the runout on the inside taper & the needle barely even moves at all.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php?t=11475&page=2&p=185063&viewfull=1#post185063

Last edited:
I would hate to lose the through spindle option even for that small of a bore. A half inch is better than nothing. I bought a screw on ER32 collet holder for my wood lathe (1"x8tpi ) from Penn State Industries (the pen turning people) through Amazon and also J.R. Beall sells them. I suspect Mr. Beall's will be be better made as he makes them and the one from Penn State was Chinese origin if I remember correctly.

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCDOWEL.html?prodpage=1LC
LCDOWEL.jpg

Beall:

http://www.bealltool.com/products/turning/colletchuck.php

colletchk.jpg

LCDOWEL.jpg colletchk.jpg

Not a bad price. I went with the ER32 because I already had the collet set and an adapter for my mill.

Either see if it comes with or be sure to get a spanner for it as well.

I have, been going back & forth with them for the past week. Good communication & they ship fast though. Don't get their ER40 spanner/hook wrench from them. It's too small, they sent me what appears to be for ER32 twice. Told me my machines must be wrong. :nuts: I was planning to get something else from them but now I don't trust them anymore.

Anybody buy one of those er40 fixture plates for the lathe? I was hoping someone knew of one that was in stock.

I have, been going back & forth with them for the past week. Good communication & they ship fast though. Don't get their ER40 spanner/hook wrench from them. It's too small, they sent me what appears to be for ER32 twice. Told me my machines must be wrong. :nuts: I was planning to get something else from them but now I don't trust them anymore.

I see... so, you did buy the chuck? Have you found it to be of adequate quality? Then again, without a wrench, it may be hard to tell! What you say makes me a bit nervous about buying from them.

Back