I think this is my next project car

It is leafs. I checked and there is no way to push the yoke in further, or pull it out more.

I hadn't thought of doing that. I have 4.5 deg shims I made under the axle and I can move the axle back by drilling a second hole in the shims.

Great idea. Thanks :grin:

Edit: I was also looking at this 3rd member also. It's a gear type. They say it will never wear out. and is only $70 more. Back in the day (20 years ago or so) SLP engineering was upgrading the 3rd gen camaro's with some power adders and a better posi unit. The ones they pulled were Zexel posi's. They were great in a straight line, but sucked on corners or if one wheel lost traction.

Does the helical posi in this 3rd member act the same? I've been searching and not found an answer to this question yet?

Last edited:
FYI: Speedway tech support sucks. He had no clue about anything on the 3rd member. I asked if it's the 1/2" longer as people said in the reviews and it was a deer in the headlight response. I also asked about their gear type posi and same thing. I realize they offer thousands of parts for sale, but there should have been someone that knew something about a $1000 part they sell.

But speedways price is way better than anyone else, especially with the nodular case and upgraded bearing support. If it actually is /2" longer I'll use ponitac428's idea to move the axle back.

All limited slips will launch the car sideways unless they are tuned for minimal engagement. Gear (helical gear) limited slips do a better job of controlling the movement in my experience, which includes front wheel drive applications where torque steer will ruin your day. Clutch types offer the most adjustability if needed, but in my experience clutch types also resonate and shift power back and forth between the rear wheels. Drifting to one side is fine, but jerking suddenly opposite is a bit scary. All limited slips lock when the power applied to the carrier through the pinion overtakes the locking mechanism. The tuning has to be done on the car, because power, weight, and acceleration all work together to dictate the locking or unlocking points. I'm sure you already know all of this. When I drive my lockers and posis, I have to coast (or soft throttle) the corners and hammer the straights.

I bet "Speedy" Bill Smith would be rolling in his bunk at the convalescent home if he knew what's become of his customer service. How much you wanna bet that kid could have got up from his chair and given you a measurement with a steel rule if he had the sense to.

Not having any experience with the type of helical posi they are selling I went with the tried and true trac loc posi. This car is just a driver, cruiser. I'll NEVER even try do do a burnout. I think this burnout craze is pretty dumb. The only time I ever did a burnout was with my firestone drag 500's heating them up for a pass down the 1320.

I'm in a rural area and weather can change in a minute. A few weeks ago my wife and I were going down the hill towards town and ran into 2" of snow. Big surprise to us. I want the posi in the 55 for just such occasions. I have a trac loc in the car now, but it's a used one I got off ebay 20 years ago for $65. Not sure what condition it's in, and I didn't want to tear a new 3rd member apart to put the it in a brand new 3rd member and screw something up. so just bought a new one and had it installed.

The kid could have gotten up from his chair, but could he actually read a ruler?

I miss the days when you called a speed shop and you actually got someone that knew what they were talking about. I love going into autozone and the 18 year old girl asks me what I'm working on. My wife always smiles because she knows what's coming out of my mouth.

Last edited:
Yeah, the way I build cars is to use the best of what's available. I run megasquirt on two cars, and my crawler has parts from suzukyotabishissan et al. Sometimes I have to take the hard road, like picking a car with a GM CLT sensor to tell the counter idiot what cars that came in, and I always lose it when they ask if it's the model with the sunroof or without, as if that makes a difference in what sensor they used in their EMS... Or the time I lost a power steering cap on a 1,000 mile trip (what a mess) and had to stop at three shops before I went to Napa and could straight up ask for a 80's Toyota power steering cap (because nobody has one for a 79 Celica).

Like, how many mistakes are even possible if someone walks in and wants a water neck gasket to fit a SBC intake? Was there ever more than one size to begin with? Does it make any dang difference if the car has AC?

You're right, I'm thinking the ruler would be too complicated. I'm surprised other customers haven't asked the same.

I've looked closely at the pics they posted and I see a little surface rust, but nothing major. I see some idiot used a ac condenser as tranny cooler. I see some hacked stuff, like the dash cut for a different radio. But the bottom line if the lack of rust in it. Just a floor and trunk pan shipped is $4k. Then abut $3k to put it in. I'd rater spend more to get a rust free (mostly) car than deal with trying to get the car repaired and the long wait times associatete with that. I've been waiting 3 months now for my front seat for the nova, and was promised 3 weeks.

They also have this or for sale, but I see a lot of surface rust and I'd bet some of it goes deeper than that. For $2000 more I'd get the brown one.

View attachment 411914View attachment 411916View attachment 411917
I really love the 55 shoe box.....

Yeah, the way I build cars is to use the best of what's available. I run megasquirt on two cars, and my crawler has parts from suzukyotabishissan et al. Sometimes I have to take the hard road, like picking a car with a GM CLT sensor to tell the counter idiot what cars that came in, and I always lose it when they ask if it's the model with the sunroof or without, as if that makes a difference in what sensor they used in their EMS... Or the time I lost a power steering cap on a 1,000 mile trip (what a mess) and had to stop at three shops before I went to Napa and could straight up ask for a 80's Toyota power steering cap (because nobody has one for a 79 Celica).

Like, how many mistakes are even possible if someone walks in and wants a water neck gasket to fit a SBC intake? Was there ever more than one size to begin with? Does it make any dang difference if the car has AC?

You're right, I'm thinking the ruler would be too complicated. I'm surprised other customers haven't asked the same.
Think that is tough try buying a set of break pads for a 1967 Ford F100 Ranger from Auto Zone....

I try to buy the best I can afford. Like my fuel injection I got for the 55. I went with the holley sniper. There are less expensive versions like FI tech and there is another one out there called Aces. I'm sorry, but just the name Aces turns me off to them. You would think they would come up with a better name. Anyway I guess in my mind when you think of fuel I think holley. And on this 3rd member I could have gotten a stock 3rd member case that's rebuilt, but it doesn't have the extra 4lbs of material in the case, or the big pinion support. I'll deal with it being 1/2" longer if necessary thanks to pretty smart friend of mine on here's elegant solution. (Thanks again)

I had ordered a fuel pump gasket from amazon (instead of driving 60 miles to get) it for $2.99 and it was supposed to be here in 4 days. A week and a half later I get "sorry it's late but..." So unplanned we find ourselves in town and I went to autozone to pick one up. Web site says they had it in stock. So I went in, gave the girl the part number. She asked what it was and I told her a fuel pump gasket. She says "Sir......In case you didn't know fuel pumps use o-rings not gaskets. About then my wife started laughing because she know what was coming. I not so politely showed her in my phone a pictures of a fuel pump gasket and that they had it in stock. She didn't look happy and after abut 5 minutes she came out and got the manager (a 20 or so year old) and the 2 of them finally found it.

I remember going into a place called Radke's and asked for some rocker arm lock nuts for a rat motor. The guy went and grabbed them and in 5 minutes I was out of there. I'd place a rather large bet that you can't walk into ANY parts store and find someone that knows what a rat motor is. Much less a mouse motor, or an elephant. How about a wedge, slant 6, cammer, FE engine, flathead....................how about a 6 pack.

Sorry, reliving my misspent youth. I think I'm hallucinating. I better go lay down for awhile :p

Several years ago, I had a local guy build a C4 transmission to go in my '64 Fairlane. He used Mercon Dexron 3 fluid to prep the clutches and advised me to run that fluid in the transmission.

I went to the local Autozone to pick up a few quarts... and made the mistake of telling the counter woman that I was working on a Ford...

She refused to sell me the M/D 3... she insisted that I needed Type F...

I finally gave up and bought it somewhere else.

-Bear

It was a long time before I went back to that store... when I did, she had been replaced by a middle-aged guy that could call out part numbers from memory. Several times I walked through the door carrying a part and he would have it pulled up on the computer before I could get to the counter...

He eventually was fired for stealing money from the cash registers...

...and replaced by another 'know-nothing'...

-Bear

Back