I think I might be a tool junkie. Are there meetings?

Several years ago took an interest in fixing old clocks and eventually acquired a used Sherline lathe. That quickly turned it into and interest in making small bits out of metal. Actually I think I always had that interest, just never the time to act on it. Anyway, European made clocks use a lot of non-standard little screws (made of pure unobtainium), and having the screw cutting attachment for the lathe has been a real blessing. I like being able to cut the odd threads with it, but I hate taking the motor loose every time. My solution was just get another headstock and leave the gear and hand wheel attached. That works ok. I found a used headstock along with a vertical milling table on ebay for much less than the cost of either part. Still, I thought it would be much better to have a second lathe for that. Not very cost effective since this is only a hobby.

Well persistence has paid off. The other day someone listed most of a 4100 lathe, less the head and tail stocks and crosslide but with a motor and speed control, for a starting bid of $4.99 or make offer. I made a tiny offer, very much less than the parts are worth, and they accepted it. Wow! To make it useful I just need a crosslide and the pin for the headstock, which will be here next week.

The lathe itself is like new and super clean, the parts I have anyway. It had a company label on the speed control so I figure they had this one as a spare or just to take parts from and never actually used it. I'll take care of that!

Once it's up and running I'll have two lathes and two mills, and no free bench space on which to work.

Eric
Your story is similar to mine. I have an antique clock collection and work on my own clocks. I bought a Sherline Lathe and Mill. I like the ability to cut threads, but not the switch-over to set up to thread. So I found a used Sherline lathe on Craigslist and have it set up just for threading. A Taig lathe was found at a clock regional meetup at a good price, so I bought it to. Four watchmakers lathes with a variety of attachments were bought used. I pick a machine to use depending on the task at hand. But all these machines are rather small, taking up little space and are easy to move about.

It would seem my TAS is under control as I have successfully dodged two incredible deals on the criteria that I don’t have room. A couple of years ago there was a Bridgeport clone Maxmill on CL for $500 and I know nobody would believe me that I was waiting for it to get taken so I could quit looking at it. So I posted the link here just prove it. Two days ago I saw where a guy close by had just put up a 7x12 horizontal bandsaw for $100. It was just dusty and they wanted it gone. Let that one go too using my space limit. I think this is the definition of a dry drunk equivalent in the TAS world.

All it takes is extensive therapy. My last therapy was at a second-use store where I found some like-new Record clamps that I "needed". They were blue and they matched my other blue ones. I bought them, I felt good. I had no guilt. Wife was happy that I didn't spend much. Therapy works if you keep at it.

You’re not a true tool junkie until you buy it without knowing what you’ll use it for. You had an actual use for this when you went looking. ;)

Still, I probably have enough to qualify.

I have:
- My favorite tools I used all the time, like that one special screwdriver, plus extra tools just in case. "Can you ever have too many pipe wrenches?"
- Tools I picked up for one specific job but now can never part with. "Some day I might need that 12 point Volkswagen axle shaft socket head bolt wrench."
- Tools I had no immediate use for but could not pass up the price. "I'll find a use for it later."
- Tools I did not need and could not use and could not pass on the price. "I'll just sell it to someone else and make a few bucks."
- Tools I could not identify but looked cool! "That's got to be good for something!"
- Piles of worn out tools I can't seem to part with.

There may be other categories.

Eric

- Tools I had no immediate use for but could not pass up the price. "I'll find a use for it later."

This is the one that tends to get me. I don't need it right now, but at that price I'll kick my self when I need it and didn't get it.

I've had the same idea about getting a dedicated Sherline for threading, but good candidates don't turn up often and now that I have other lathes where threading isn't as much trouble the motivation has diminished.

I bought the Sherline lathe in 2016 because I didn't have room for anything bigger, I figured out that I could share the space with a mill by making room under the bench. Over time I have managed to find the room for a lot more stuff, if you went back 6 years ago and told me I'd find space for all these machines I would have thought you were crazy. It's not just the metal working either, I've also added considerably to the sawdust making appliances. Machine Tetris is a valuable skill.

I’m starting to lose track of where I put stuff.
BTW, just found the 2” boring head I bought a year or so ago for a project that got sidetracked.
took it all apart & cleaned it, now trying to familiarize myself with it.
looks dangerous as hell.
Done LOTS of boring on a lathe, but I’ve never used a boring head.
just one of many machinist tools I’ve never used.
EDIT: And i keep buying more.
so it goes….

I'm a tool junkie, I admit it.

Somewhere I have a Volstro head I put away for safe keeping. I'll never use it because I have a machining center, but I can't sell it.

I need help.

Anyone know of tools for sale near me? I have cash :grin:

Back