I think I am going To part out brown and sharpe 618 micromaster surface grinder

Hey. Thanks for all the replies. It's been a busy week. Finally got the time to properly measure the screw. The screw measures 7/8 0.875". X 10 tpi. I think I need to make and splice as opposed to bending. I do not think that I will be able to bend it back to acceptable tolerance.
Thanks

....snip.... The screw measures 7/8 0.875". X 10 tpi. I think I need to make and splice as opposed to bending. I do not think that I will be able to bend it back to acceptable tolerance.
Thanks
That is the same diameter and pitch of my screw.

Since it's too long of a section to turn on my mini cnc lathe I will have to order a section. I will need to order it a bit long and turn down the ends to make the splices into the other components. I have not cut my scew yet but when I do I will indicate the non threaded section of the shaft and see it somehow it didn't bend. I can not see any visible how to that section but we'll see.

Hey. I think I am going to order the threaded section and turn down one end and bore the other for the splice. There are a couple different variations of acme precision all thread. This seems to be the place to get it. https://www.mcmaster.com/#precision-acme-lead-screws/=16egto5
What item number is a match to the value master series you have 4gsr? I just want to make sure I get the right one. Also any tips to turning down one end of the hardended all thread? Also I'm thinking of making a simple aluminum collet to hold the thread rod while lathe operations take place as to not mar the threads. Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks

I don't think it will be hardened steel, it should be soft. A regular collet will work fine. They work great on 60 degree threaded parts without causing damage, and Acme threads are flat crowned which makes it even better. You should be good to go.

GG

Hey. I think I am going to order the threaded section and turn down one end and bore the other for the splice. There are a couple different variations of acme precision all thread. This seems to be the place to get it. https://www.mcmaster.com/#precision-acme-lead-screws/=16egto5
What item number is a match to the value master series you have 4gsr? I just want to make sure I get the right one. Also any tips to turning down one end of the hardended all thread? Also I'm thinking of making a simple aluminum collet to hold the thread rod while lathe operations take place as to not mar the threads. Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks

My Valuemaster SG uses a 7/8"-10 pitch Acme RH Thread. I don't see anything listed for that size. I'm sure 1"-10 would work but you'll have to rebore the nut thread to fit the larger thread. That is a fairly thick nut B & S used on their grinders. Should not be an issue to open up to 1" if you desire to do so. No need to get anything better than 1018 steel for the screw. That's all I used for making a new screw. B & S probably used 1215 material for the screw originally. It's too soft to be anything better! Don't over engineer it! It don't have to work for a living ever again. Ken

Back