I stripped the T-nuts on my PM-1030V compound

Do you mean .920" in length?

The stock I have is .920 diameter. Just long enough to make two studs from. I'll cut it town to .875 and cut flats on teh sides to fit the T Slots.

The eBay seller that sold me the T slot nuts lied about their location. They said they were in Los Angeles (I am just outside of San Francisco), but it turns out these T slot nuts are being shipped from China.

The eBay seller that sold me the T slot nuts lied about their location. They said they were in Los Angeles (I am just outside of San Francisco), but it turns out these T slot nuts are being shipped from China.

I'd cancel if you can.

The few times I have purchased new T-nuts, I purchased them from Mcmaster. Good quality, hardened, available in pretty much any size you need, imperial or metric thread, fully or partial threaded, and they get delivered the next day. They sell quality studs too. I only buy them when I want hardened ones. Otherwise I just make my own (I have never tried hardening stuff myself yet). Not worth the time to buy China ones IMO.

I just got home from a trip Mcmaster, haha. Not to buy T-nuts though.

I'd cancel if you can.

The few times I have purchased new T-nuts, I purchased them from Mcmaster. Good quality, hardened, available in pretty much any size you need, imperial or metric thread, fully or partial threaded, and they get delivered the next day. I only buy them when I want hardened ones. Otherwise I just make my own (I have never tried hardening stuff myself yet). Not worth the time to buy China ones IMO.

I just got home from a trip Mcmaster, haha. Not to buy T-nuts though.

I should have bought them from McMaster Carr. I can’t now; I am broke because I just bought six Starrett micrometers.

Here is what I believe to be my backing plate and the Grizzly lathe dogs. The fasteners were inside the box with the backing plate.

image.jpg

I should have bought them from McMaster Carr. I can’t now; I am broke because I just bought six Starrett micrometers.

That's what happens when you hang around here. You need to stay away if you don't want to be broke. But it's too late, we've already got you! :laughing:

I've had/still have plenty of other expensive hobbies but this one is by far the worst for my wallet. I'm pretty much good now on tooling & stuff and have no more room but yet I keep buying more stuff! :(

That's what happens when you hang around here. You need to stay away if you don't want to be broke. But it's too late, we've already got you! :laughing:

I've had/still have plenty of other expensive hobbies but this one is by far the worst for my wallet. I'm pretty much good now on tooling & stuff and have no more room but yet I keep buying more stuff! :(

I have spent over $10,000 for equipment PLUS $2000 for tuition in the last six months. Worth every penny! I plan to enjoy this stuff for the next 40 years.

I am out of room, though!

If you have a mill, t-nuts are super easy to make. It can be done on the lathe as well, but you need a way to mount a tool... :)

I believe littlemachineshop.com is in CA. They always ship quickly when I order from them and they have a good selection of t-nuts.

So I spent about 10 hours today on my machine tools today, mostly the lathe. The Chinese T slot nuts that fit were M8. The T slot nuts were too tall, so I had to mill them down .040".

M8 X 20 Grade 10.9 bolts torqued to 41.3 Nm resulted in NO problems in a solid 9 hours of lathe work, mostly on mild steel. It is easy for me to tell if the compound has rotated because the compound is set to exactly 30 degrees. It never moved.

I used a torque wrench at the perpindicular angle (where there is room for a 13mm socket). When I rotated the compound to 30 degrees (where I like to keep it), I used a 13mm open end wrench and kept track of how much I loosened it (so that I could maintain the 41.3 Nm torque). Loosening these bolts 90 degrees allows one to rotate the compound. I made sure to tighten it 90 degrees after I set my compound angle--easy!

41.3 Nm is pretty tight, but not crazy gorilla tight.

Back