I need to get a single phase motor for my South Bend Heavy 10 lathe.

jeepnbob

Registered
Registered
I need to find a suitable motor for my South Bend Heavy 10 Lathe. I really have no Idea where to start. I have to stick with single phase and something reversible would be nice. How much HP works best?

I just installed a new motor and drum switch on my 13 SB .
I bought a OE Smith 1 hp dual voltage singel phase. it is reverable and I wired ot to a Dayton drum switch.

Locally here, Tractor Supply has a pretty good selection of motors.

I got mine from granger for my 11" sheldon and the drum switch and they installed the drum switch on the counter in front of me at no charge the motor was a 5hp dayton and was under 300.00 with drum switch:))mac

I thought I was going to change my motor also when I first got my lathe, I listened to the advice of the members here and decided to just get a vfd. It's cheaper, gives variable speed, soft start too. If you think about it many manufacturers are using 3 phase motors from the factory now with vfd's already installed so they can run on 110 or 220 single phase. I am almost ready to make my purchase of a vfd, it's the way to go. you wont have to drill anything on your lathe or the motor to get things to line up, a 3 phase motor will last forever, and a vfd is just some simple wireing. Plus keeping the lathe all original holds it's value.

Back