[Newbie] I need help

hh4545

Registered
Registered
I am a newbie when it comes to working with mini motors.
I have a motor for my project that is not rotating fast enough.
I have a Ann Yih mini motor (AM-06 -- 5/6 RPM ). I like the size of the motor, but I need it to go a little faster.
I am not sure of the RPM's that I need, so are there any small motors that you can adjust the speed?
I appreciate anyone's help. Thank you and have a great day.
Heath

That's a geared synchronous motor. Unless you can vary the frequency of the power supply, you can't change the speed, without some serous regearing, and that's probably impractical. It was meant to operate on it's designated frequency, either 50 or 60 Cycles.

Or would I need to focus more on the frequency? Instead of 50/60 Hz, look for a motor that is 100/120 Hz?
thanks again

If a motor is specified to run at a certain speed fed specific frequency, then that's all it will do at that frequency. Theoretically, a 60 Hz motor will run twice on 120 Hz, but I don't think that's your solution. If you buy a motor for 120 Hz, it will run at the specified speed provided you supply 120Hz power to it. If that motor is supplied 60Hz, it will run at half speed.

It's really a little more complex that that, but that's the general idea. I would recommend you find a motor that gives you the speed you need with the power you have available. That's going to be the simplest way to go. Unless you can figure a way to use external gears or belt/pulleys to gain speed. I have no idea of your application or your torque requirements, so take what I say as basic information intended to guide your thinking, and no more.

I think Tony pretty well called it. Not knowing your application makes it pretty tough to help. You call it a mini motor it must be for a smallish app. If you go on Google and ask for mini motors you might get some more help, surplus outfits sometimes have that type of item or a motor for a barbeque. You might try CandHSurplus@yahoo.com. They are a surplus dealer in a lot of those things. Good luck
dickr

Heath,
Welcome to the group first. If you wuuld give us some idea of what you are trying to do I am sure we can help you get sorted out with a solution that will work and not break the bank either. How many RPM do you need or would variable speed be even better? There are a ton of ways to skin the cat but we need a little info to help point you in the best direction. Tony and many of the others are quite expert at these kinds of things if they have a bit of info to solve the equations and select the best way to go. Let us know if we can be of any help too.
Bob

Heath, what is the load on the motor? Only the plastic disk? How heavy is it? Does anything rub on it or ride on it? Is slung under the motor as you have sketched?

Back