I need help with a SB 10" Quick Change Gear Lathe

Danadj

Registered
Registered
I've had this lathe for several years in KY and recently brought it to FL with the goal of finally learning how to use it. It's been sitting in the corner of a building for most of 20 years so I want to be sure before I really begin to use it that it won't be damaged because I've missed some vital part of maintenance. Any help on finding literature (preferably with pictures) telling me how to do this would be appreciated.

I'm assuming that it runs a felt wick oil system like 14.5". I bought this lathe, in great shape except for the dirt, rocks,yellow jackets and rock soild felt wicks. Now I knew I was stripping it all the way down and just replaced mine, and let me tell you there are more then what is mentioned in any manuels. I've been told that kerosine is good to bring the felt wicks oiling properly. I would find something that fixes the felt and then let the oil soak into the lathe for a day.

lube up all gears put the gearbox in neutral and spin the chuck several times by hand. feel for any binding stop and find out what its cause is. run the headstock through its gears doing the same thing then engage the feed gearbox and do the same thing. inspect all gear teeth for missing teeth. if none found then then set up some kind of local switch and bump it a few times listen good a big part of machining is with the ears. as long as everthing turns fine then you should be ok. bill

Back