I lost everything on my computer

Not sure what the American Indians have to do with open office. It's an open source foundation project. I think Sun Micro started it originally, not certain.
Open office will open Word documents that word cannot. When a word doc gets corrupted, a co-worker used to use open office to fix everyone's disasters.
My son swears by open office, it's a good alternative to expensive software.
Lot's of open source is better than the commercial stuff. No corporate limitations, or in many cases stupid features that don't work.

FYI

StarDivision, the original author of the StarOffice suite of software, was founded in Germany in the mid-1980s. It was acquired by Sun Microsystems during the summer of 1999 and StarOffice 5.2 was released in June of 2000. Subsequent versions of StarOffice software, beginning with 6.0, were built using the OpenOffice.org source, APIs, file formats, and reference implementation. Sun continued to sponsor development on OpenOffice.org for the next 10 years, a period during which not only did the project grow tremendously and became truly global, but the user base also saw an extraordinary increase, and as of the end of 2010 was estimated to be in excess of 100 Million. With its acquisition of Sun in 2010, Oracle was the principal contributor of code to OpenOffice.org. On June 1, 2011, OpenOffice.org, the project and product, including source code, trademarks, domain names and website, were donated to the Apache Software Foundation.

I really like OpenOffice too. The last time I went looking for it, it seemed that LibreOffice had
replaced it? Or maybe it was just trending higher in the search. I can't see spending money
for MS Office when OpenOffice or LibreOffice do all that I need.

I have started to use DropBox for all of my non-confidential type documents (i.e. no financial
or medical info). For anything like product manuals, beer recipes, etc... I use DropBox. I can
sync files from my iPad, PC at home and work and I have access to all my files everywhere.
But as Mark said, I don't trust the cloud for any file that I wouldn't want someone else to
have access to.

I really like OpenOffice too. The last time I went looking for it, it seemed that LibreOffice had
replaced it? Or maybe it was just trending higher in the search. I can't see spending money
for MS Office when OpenOffice or LibreOffice do all that I need.

I have started to use DropBox for all of my non-confidential type documents (i.e. no financial
or medical info). For anything like product manuals, beer recipes, etc... I use DropBox. I can
sync files from my iPad, PC at home and work and I have access to all my files everywhere.
But as Mark said, I don't trust the cloud for any file that I wouldn't want someone else to
have access to.

Drop box is one of the worst sites to send files, they have been hacked so many times.

Sometimes when newer versions of programs will not open files creates long ago, you might find what you need at oldversion.com. They host about 2,000 different programs that are not commercially available anywhere, in general.

I use OpenOffice as well, simply because I support the open source community in general and prefer to have people genuinely looking for things that simply work, rather than just the profit margin. I run Ubuntu on a standalone machine, but I know I falling behind, version-wise. I do have MS Office, but it is not the current version. I have no problems with it, and it still seems to be the most commonly used suite of programs out there.

I've never had any problems with Dropbox. I would never store anything sensitive in the
cloud, anything I put on Dropbox I don't care if anyone accesses it. So then you would be
concerned if someone steals your userid and password, but I don't share those between
accounts, so if someone gets that they only have access to my non-sensitive files.

Finally it isn't out of the question that someone could replace a file with one that has a virus
in it and your computer could get infected when you sync up, but that is why you run antivirus
software. Nothing is 100% safe, but like I said, I've never had a problem. It is also important
to have multiple local backups of your important files.

Back