I learned a new trick today

Eric, Barry, you are quite welcome. As you can see a chip breaker can be pretty crude and still work as desired. In fact the entire tool grind is pretty crude. This illustrates that there is not really a right or wrong way (as long as safety is kept in mind) to do something when it comes to machining, it's really a matter of what works for the application. In a high production environment, you would want to use properly engineered tools to optimize production, but as a home/hobby machinist you have a lot more latitude.

Normally I would have ground that chip breaker in on the edge of the carbide grinder wheel, but in this case I had the Dremel diamond wheel sitting in my tool box so I tried it, why?, because I had never tried it before and it looked like a reasonable solution to a small task.

In general, grinding tool bits is not magic, just provide enough clearance in all planes around the cutting edge so that the cutting edge is the only part of the tool touching the work in the desired direction of travel.

Thanks for sharing. I need some of the Dremel disks!. I have had good luck with the brazed cutters after regrinding the angles. I look forward to trying a chipbreaker.
Joe

:) you guy's blow my mind! I'll post a comment in about 5 years when I've earned a few stripes and even know what a chip breaker is! Jim, You always have good stuff to post! Regular Reader here!

thanks! CG

Back