I knew I was being tracked, but this is ridiculous

The tracking isn't by IP normally, it's by login. But if you browse without being logged in, they track that by IP.

While you can turn off some of the tracking and targeting, it's hard to avoid it all. Google has somehow attached my work computer to my phone and tablet, even though I NEVER use google services that require login from the desktop. And only as required from the phone.

Occasionally I'll get a series of targeted ads. Like a few months back Alibaba was blasting me with bulldozers and excavators. One has to wonder what in the hell I searched for to cause that.

I have never used her computer for anything. It's ancient. She will be getting a new one for her birthday soon, but obviously I can't look it up online now.

I will log onto amazon and see what I can do there. I do not own any amazon devices.

I also see ads on my phone that came from my computer. Frustrating to see all this stuff pop up. I hate going to a site to look up something and there is a popup and you can'tt get rid of it without closing the web page. They are losing business that way.

Last edited:
Like kvt stated, if you are browsing the internet through you will get the same result on any device connected to you wifi router network since your modem is assigned one IP address by your ISP. Websites will see all the traffic from your router that's connected to you modem (or built in), doesn't matter what device you are using.

PC browsers are easy to install ad tracking blockers. But for phones & tablets not so much. Most of the ad blocking apps don't work well or at all. If you have an Android & are rooted you can block ads pretty well.

Another option to prevent your GF from seeing related ads when your browsing is to use you phone provider's internet assuming you have an internet plan, ie, not browsing through you home wifi network. Or go to Starbucks & use their wifi when you need to search for gifts. :)

If you have an Android device or Chrome, you can browse using a "Secret Tab" (that's what it's called). Cookies & browsing history aren't saved so your GF should not see anything related when browsed with that.

I have a different issue, I buy lots of stuff from Amazon & my GF uses my account too so she can see all my browsing history & purchases. But at least I have ebay.

Unfortunately there is no anonymity on the internet. A VPN will help but you can still be tracked if "they" really want to. Free VPNs suck, if you really want something that doesn't suck you have to go with a paid one like PIA.

I get the same as Mark mentioned above and have been wondering what can be done about it. From all your comments it seems that it is the price to pay for 'free and easy' use of Google. For now all I am doing (with iPad and mini-mac) is to never click on the pop-ups. If I do purchase something I will order straight from the suppliers web page and avoid using the 'convenience' of unwanted ads.

I get the same as Mark mentioned above and have been wondering what can be done about it. From all your comments it seems that it is the price to pay for 'free and easy' use of Google. For now all I am doing (with iPad and mini-mac) is to never click on the pop-ups. If I do purchase something I will order straight from the suppliers web page and avoid using the 'convenience' of unwanted ads.

Before I rooted my Android I used to use an app called Ad Guard. It worked fairly well for an app but it still let some things through. Downside is that it runs in the background all the time but I never noticed a slowdown in speed.

I just checked & it looks like they have it for Apple as well. I'm not sure how well it works on Apple or if the free version is limited but it's worth a try. Downside to blocking ads is when you do want to click an ad (like a product ad you searched for) the link won't work. But with Ad Guard you can toggle it on & off. For my Android I can't do that if I ever wanted to, I have to uninstall a modified system file & reboot.

If you or anyone else does try Ad Guard for Apple, please let us know how it works.

Sometimes I hear guys talk about the ads on this site & I think to myself "what are they talking about". I've been using ad blockers for so long I forget & just think it's normal not seeing ads on forums & such. :)

This will not necessarily prevent your purchase from being tracked. Many websites use Google to provide analytic services (to notice trends of how people use their web site, how many follow through with purchases, lots of stuff), and and Google gets all that info about what you appear to be interested in because of it.

Same with facebook or twitter likes or sharing buttons, or using a twiiter/google/microsoft/facebook/amazon login. And even if you logout, they have been caught retaining the login info to keep the tracking info associated with "you" after you have logged out.

You can use things like ghostery or Privacy Badger to limit the tracking somewhat, but it is a game of cat and mouse. They work really hard to weave their tracking code into websites so if you block the tracking code, the web site stops working properly. A LOT of time, money and effort is put into making it so you can't prevent yourself being tracked.

CCleaner:
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner
Choose the free version. I use this program and the standard windows firewall.
No anti virus or other adblocker. Never go to MSN updates. Never had a problem.
Best free program imho. My system is at the top of the pics.
Here is some screenshots of my setup fwiw:
Check all boxes EXCEPT wipe free space.jpg Check all boxes.jpg
Hide warning messages.jpg Minimize your plugins.jpg
Minimize your startups.jpg Check all boxes EXCEPT wipe free space.jpg
Check all boxes.jpg Hide warning messages.jpg
Minimize your startups.jpg

Last edited:
Back