I just picked this up Sunday.

Pipehack,

Absent the original invoice or a note written on the parts list by the original owner, the only way to accurately date an Atlas lathe is to pull the spindle and look for dates on the spindle bearing cups. However, I wouldn't suggest doing that unless you have some other reason to remove the spindle. When I get time, I will see whether there are any trustworthy 101.21400 dates in any of the databases I have. I haven't tried to date a Craftsman 618 version before and don't recall whether there are any or not. In the meantime, I can say that it was made between late 1957 and 1972, based on catalog listings. From early 1957 back, Sears only sold the sleeve bearing 101.07301 (and very briefly the 101.07300), not the 618 with Craftsman nameplate.

Robert D.

ok. Thanks for the reply. Well........ Craftsman motor that came with it took a dump this morning. A friend of mine has a HVAC shop and gave me a GE motor. 1/2 hp and 1725 rpm. The manual calls for at least a 1/3 horse with 1740 rpm. I don't think 15 rpm is going to make a difference. Now I just have to wire it up. I feel safer with this motor anyway.

Nice turnip. That takes me back about 40 years. Seems like my chain was on the right side?

The 1/2 HP motor should work fine. I wouldn't put anything larger on a 6", though.

As to RPM, single phase AC motor RPM isn't constant. It varies a little with load. Different manufacturers seem to pick different RPM figures to list on their motor nameplates. Anything rated between about 1700 and 1760 can be taken to be equivalent.

Robert D.

It's up and running again. I feel better with having new electrical. All the electrical was long over due. I'm talking about cloth insulated wiring and all. Fire waiting to happen.

Back