I just picked this up Sunday.

pipehack

Active User
Registered
I live in the Chicago area and always check CL for a lathe at the right price. I also check the local big cities because I don't mind driving if the deal is good. While I was checking the Milwaukee CL I noticed that a Craftsman lathe was for sale but the town it was listed under happened to be the next suburb next to mine. I sent an "E" and a lady called me back a couple of hours later. She told me I could look at it the next day. I could tell by the tone of her voice the she was a little uneasy probably cause it's CL and I've heard horror stories of what has happened to some people dealing on CL. She called me the next day and my wife was more than willing to join me to help me and put her mind at ease.

We went to the house, which was your typical suburban bungalow. The garage was a different story. It was a "barn" style with a second level. The top floor had doors that opened to the outside and I noticed a I-beam that protruded outside of the garage by about 4 or 5 feet. They had a chain fall for machines to be lowered and raised. her advertised price was $250.00. when I saw that it was a complete set up I didn't even haggle on the price with her. There are all the tooling I think I'll need. Right down to the steady rest. I've been looking for a small lathe for at least 15 to 20 years as I used to shoot smallbore prone competitively before I got back into hot rods and motorcycles. here's some pictures along with a pic of my 1 car garage.
002_zps72d8e87c.jpg
003_zps39adcdb9.jpg
004_zps3ca30ca4.jpg
005_zps01a9dc26.jpg
006_zpscdc76fb4.jpg
004_zps5f723e85.jpg
003_zps7a3f1e71.jpg
002_zps86d78d24.jpg
010_zpsae036c2f.jpg

Wow that's fantastic!! What a deal! Or is it a steal?

That is already in great shape- and should clean up really nice. I can't believe all the accessories! You are totally hooked up!

Bernie

WoW! Nice find! I don't think she knew what she had. How is it for wear?

She knows exactly what she has. She's asking 3 grand for a Delta Unisaw. I don't think it was used that much from what she says. It doesn't look or feel like there's much wear on it and I'm only cleaning it up a little. I won't re-paint it or do a restoration on it.

Definitely a nice score!

Your shop looks a little tight, but I think I see a spot for that mill you'll be looking for real soon. :))

Even at twice the price it would be a steal. Nice find.

Yeah it's tight. I really just have to make sure I put everything away when I'm finished do projects. On the plus side because it's so small it motivates me to get things done. There's a few things that need to go. The kids don't ride their bike and I'll only keep one for my wife and one for my 13 y.o. daughter. My two older daughters drive. most of the tools and equipment are towards the back of the garage which leaves me room for projects towards the front. YES! I would love to find a small mill. Just trying to see if I can find another deal like this one. I just have to wait it out because I know that day will come. They always do.

By the way. Does anyone have an idea what year this lathe was made??

1973 Triumph T65. The T65 is somewhat of a "rare" motor and from my research they were built for the Australian police bikes. It has a 750 big bore kit on it, Hayward belt drive, Boyer electronic ignition and has been hardtailed. I picked up, mixed and matched parts from swap meets mostly. It's in a state of remodel for the past 3 years as I haven't been able to ride it due to having a partial nephrectomy (renal cancer) and an abdominal surgery this past winter to unblock a restricted artery feeding my colon. I lost 40 pounds from that one. Back in the beginning of July I found out I have 2 herniated discs in my lower back (L-4 & L-5). The riding won't be happening for a while. I've had a couple of spinal steroid shots in my back and it's starting to come around. Surgery is the last thing I want seeing I'm a construction tradesman. To tell you the truth I'm laid off right now so it's really working out in my benefit...... Back to the bike. I'll post a couple of before pics.
Billsbike010.jpg
Billsbike013.jpg
Billsbike011.jpg

Back