I just glued on my 3 jaw chuck...

Penn Industries offers a 6 jaw chuck that is repeatable to .0005". It's a BTC Zero-Set precision. With that you don't need a collet chuck. It costs $3,847.00. Hm. I think I'll pass and stick with my 4jaw and collet chucks.
thats a bargain , can u get me two of them I will be round latter for um , ha ha ha :)

Stu

I had good but mixed results. The wax worked perfectly. The jb weld is allowing easy but snug installation.

The 0.5" gauge pin went right back to dead nuts upon installation and re-chucking. I was stoked!

As I chucked up on bigger pieces I saw more run out so I checked the body. 0.002" run out so I marked it. The body run out and the bigger (1.5") part run out had correlation. I carefully sanded the jb weld to allow the chuck to move 0.001" in the right direction. Now I have 0.001" of run out on the 0.5" gauge pin, 0.0015" at 0.860", and 0.0015" at 1.5".

I am quite pleased with the results. It isn't perfect and was never going to be. If I torque the chuck harder it throws things off. I have a piece of turned 316 stainless that shows 0.003" no matter what I do. Lol. Screw that thing!

I am bedding in my collet chuck as I type this. No reason not to. Once I dial it in again it should be pretty good for most things unless I need absolutely perfect on a second op. I'll pop it loose tomorrow at noon and then dial it in.

Back