I just glued on my 3 jaw chuck...

Batmanacw

Registered
Registered
:eek:

I have a PM 1030v and I am very pleased with it. The 3 jaw it came with showed better than average run out of around 0.003" but I noticed sometimes it would be a bit better. I tried tapping it in with the mounting nuts slightly loose and I was able to dial it in to dead nuts! This was at two different diameters!

If the adapter fit better this chuck would be amazing!

Every time I change out the chuck I'd dial it back in but it wasn't holding it anyways. I put some automatic center punch marks inside the adapter to make it tighter on the spindle and it would stay under 0.002" consistently.

Today I cleaned everything really well and rubbed paste wax and a light coat of candle wax on the spindle nose. I cleaned the adapter with acetone and applied a light coat of jb weld.

I also noticed if you don't get crazy on the mounting bolts the chuck runs truer. I'll have to figure that out later.

Anyway. Wish me luck that my chuck comes off! Lol!

Eta: if this works I'll do my collet chuck too. Its a Shars tru-set so I can dial it in. I just need a much better fit on the spindle nose if I don't want to have to dial it in each time.

Last edited:
That seems a little extreme. Don’t most folks just use a four jaw when they need precision for a second op?

John

Because you can dial it in exact when needed. Also good for odd shapes.

John

So why not have a dead accurate 3 jaw? I didn't get rid of my 4 jaw. Do you know what glass bedding a rifle is? The wax is a release agent. The epoxy won't stick to it. I should end up with a very accurate removable fit.

The part will never re-locate exactly in a 3 jaw after it is removed.

I'd be pretty excited with .001 repeatability too, but it is not in the nature of 3 jaw chucks due to wear and (not so unusual) crashes, that is why they make AdjusTru chucks, 4 jaw chucks and collets.

I chucked up the gauge pin 10 times being careful not to disturb my jb weld.

I averaged around 0.0003" run out. Better with less clamping force. I got 0.0004" as the worst. 0.0001" as the best.

The other poster was correct. It didn't repeat flawlessly but holy smokes is that accurate for a 3 jaw.

I'd be pretty excited with .001 repeatability too, but it is not in the nature of 3 jaw chucks due to wear and (not so unusual) crashes, that is why they make AdjusTru chucks, 4 jaw chucks and collets.

My collet chuck has set-true capability. I'd still like it to be as accurate as possible so I don't have to dial it in each time I use it. I'm lazy....lol. I was disappointed that it wasn't more accurate from the factory.

Back