I have on order a pm1236t and need some dimensions

myhreld

Registered
Registered
Looking at getting a multifix tool post and need the dimension from the top of the compound to center of spindle and the width of the compound in the Z axis.
It would be much appreciated
Thank You

They have no idea. They said reference a BXA tool post. Wrong

I measure 1.185” on mine for the height, and 2.936” for the compound width. I’m considering a Multifix as well, I have an AXA size post on mine now and would like something a bit larger. I will be curious to hear how you like it on your lathe.

The following link provides the dimensions for the PM-1340GT. The CH is 45mm on that machine. The 1236T has to be less than that.

I measure 1.185” on mine for the height, and 2.936” for the compound width. I’m considering a Multifix as well, I have an AXA size post on mine now and would like something a bit larger. I will be curious to hear how you like it on your lathe.
Thank You Sir
A guestion, do you feel the AXA fits better on the 12x36t then the BXA with .625 tooling??

Thank You Sir
A guestion, do you feel the AXA fits better on the 12x36t then the BXA with .625 tooling??
I haven’t tried a BXA yet, I already had an AXA from my old lathe and decided to try it. So far it works fine, but I would like to have the wider selection of larger tooling with a BXA, especially things like parting blades, so if starting from scratch, I would get the larger size. It works good enough that I am not in a hurry to upgrade it, but it is something on my list of wants.

They have no idea. They said reference a BXA tool post. Wrong
I have a 1236T on order as well. It's a real disappointment they don't tell you this. One of the critical dimensions. I've asked sales and their tech and neither will tell you. I'm lead to believe it's slightly different between each one or there's some reason they are intentional about not saying. It's not like they haven't had hundreds of these go through their warehouse to measure one. It's certainly just barely in the BXA size range for Aloris specs sizing chart. For dorian I believe it falls in what is considered their AXA size, but their sizing seems different than most.

I don't believe the toolpost size per say is what really matters, it's how low can you get your tooling to be on centerline, so the tool holder is really important. The bottom shelf of the tool holder plus your tooling shank size etc..... You can order PM's XL (3/4") holders which lowers the tool bit a bit, but even then PM's specs advertised for their XL holders is inaccurate. I can post actual dimensions of their XL holders if you wish. I just ordered a couple.

I messaged someone else about the compound to center line and was told it's 1.2" so that's on track with @Ischgl99's measurements.

Not recommended, but I've banked on it being BXA and without the lathe yet I've ordered the Aloris BXA (they have 20% off this month) and a bunch of tooling from Curtis at latheinserts.com... all 5/8" shank so hope it works out :). I have yet to order a parting blade, other than the 5/8" shank one from latheinserts.com (all suggestions from @davidpbest's book) except the aloris #77 or #71 style holder because I'm hesitant on the blade height getting low enough.

As I just came to my senses... your multifix tool post setup is different, so the most common Aloris style and their knockoff tool holders isn't really of concern for you.

I have a 1236T on order as well. It's a real disappointment they don't tell you this. One of the critical dimensions. I've asked sales and their tech and neither will tell you. I'm lead to believe it's slightly different between each one or there's some reason they are intentional about not saying. It's not like they haven't had hundreds of these go through their warehouse to measure one. It's certainly just barely in the BXA size range for Aloris specs sizing chart. For dorian I believe it falls in what is considered their AXA size, but their sizing seems different than most.

I don't believe the toolpost size per say is what really matters, it's how low can you get your tooling to be on centerline, so the tool holder is really important. The bottom shelf of the tool holder plus your tooling shank size etc..... You can order PM's XL (3/4") holders which lowers the tool bit a bit, but even then PM's specs advertised for their XL holders is inaccurate. I can post actual dimensions of their XL holders if you wish. I just ordered a couple.

I messaged someone else about the compound to center line and was told it's 1.2" so that's on track with @Ischgl99's measurements.

Not recommended, but I've banked on it being BXA and without the lathe yet I've ordered the Aloris BXA (they have 20% off this month) and a bunch of tooling from Curtis at latheinserts.com... all 5/8" shank so hope it works out :). I have yet to order a parting blade, other than the 5/8" shank one from latheinserts.com (all suggestions from @davidpbest's book) except the aloris #77 or #71 style holder because I'm hesitant on the blade height getting low enough.

As I just came to my senses... your multifix tool post setup is different, so the most common Aloris style and their knockoff tool holders isn't really of concern for you.
I had a simular problem with my 12 x 37 lathe
I ordered the BXA holder with the 5 holders but the 5/8 tooling would not lower enough
The XL or T holders just fit with 5/8 tooling
The parting tool will not work without modifying the holder and turning the compound 90 degrees
I milled the holder to lower it below the compound

Back