I have a question about lathe alignment

I have been lucky finding metal for my projects in the scrap bin at a local welding shop.
He will cut a small piece from a long one for me but charges for the cut of course.

I have been lucky finding metal for my projects in the scrap bin at a local welding shop.
He will cut a small piece from a long one for me but charges for the cut of course.
The scrap metal collectors are many in my area. Have to be quick.
The local scrap yards no longer let you poke around or sell scrap back over the counter.

First remove all bolts and check your alignment by turning a 1" diameter aluminum bar over 4" without live center using a very modest feed (0.002"/rev) and depth of cut (0.001") and the sharpest tool you have. Then measure the taper to check if you messed it up by bolting the lathe to the stand.
This is how I check the alignment of my head stock (rolling daddy method + compensation for bending the stock during turning)

First remove all bolts and check your alignment by turning a 1" diameter aluminum bar over 4" without live center using a very modest feed (0.002"/rev) and depth of cut (0.001") and the sharpest tool you have. Then measure the taper to check if you messed it up by bolting the lathe to the stand.
This is how I check the alignment of my head stock (rolling daddy method + compensation for bending the stock during turning)
I will give it a try when I get more useful material. I don’t have much of anything 1 inch or bigger with any length to it very new to this I do have 1” x 18 12 L 14 but it’s the only known material I have not sure if I want to cut it up testing my lathe

Try this then,

How big of a nut and bolt can you find?

A 1/2 bolt has 3/4 head, it will turn down to something round, or you can add washers.

Center drill the head and the opposite end, add nuts and washers and make the cuts on the washers

Make sure the nuts are very tight or epoxy the washers as they cannot move.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Try this then,

How big of a nut and bolt can you find?

A 1/2 bolt has 3/4 head, it will turn down to something round, or you can add washers.

Center drill the head and the opposite end, add nuts and washers and make the cuts on the washers

Make sure the nuts are very tight or epoxy the washers as they cannot move.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk
My inventory is very limited.
Buying washers locally would cost as much as a piece of round stock!

The hunt is on for material

The cheapest source of materials is often local.

But lacking that, I have bought small amount of material from a couple of eBay vendors. Oakland Steel (steel dawg) https://www.ebay.com/str/oaklandsteel often has assorted steel rods of varying lengths, including 12L14. They ship in fixed rate packages, so often will add in extra stuff for no additional postage. For aluminum I have used Stoner Tools and Materials, aka 6061dude https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ssn=6061dude. Both ship pretty quickly and are fairly priced for small quantities. Hope that helps. For bulk steel, I go to a steel yard and scrounge in the cut off area. Cohen Steel in Concord NH that lets people wander through their cut off area. I brought back 150 lbs of steel for (small) projects on my last trip. Unfortunately, at least when I was there, no rounds, just plate, angle, and stuff like that. Made my monitor stand from that steel.

Material is expensive. And it is better to buy in larger quantities for a greater discount. I usually get a little more than I need, and the surplus goes onto a rack for future projects. Makes the next project seem nearly free. Eventually you build up inventory. But yeah, save those scraps and cut offs, they are a source for those little jobs.

closest steel place is only open mon-fri 8-4 i cant loose a days pay to go pick out drops.
Local scrap yards could not be bothered by us hobby guys

Back