I hate mice

I save the 22 for squirrels if I am lazy and not reloading the seventeen. With the leaves off of the trees the hawks and owls are have a feast.

I guess my shop has pack rats. I have anchor pockets in the floor with wood covers. When I need to anchor something I have to vacuum the rat poison out that they hid.

It's a little tricky, the names are similar and BOTH will cause dehydration.

Wilson has both kinds:

1) The corn based one not supposed to hurt dogs/cats that eat the dead mice/rats,
The one I used was labeled "Wilsarin".

and

2) Another that is Warfarin based- a poison that can cause secondary deaths

Brian

Dunno but I'll next next time I see the maintenance guy refilling the bait.

I have heard nothing but great things about Mouse Mix. Non-lethal but effective.

I hate using poison because it is indiscriminate, not only on the first level, but anything that comes along and feeds on that carcass will also suffer/die.
Cats that are left outside to roam the "wild" kill an estimated 2 BILLION songbirds a year. At our previous house, the neighbors all had cats, which would crap in my yard, and then my dog would roll in it. I then adopted a policy that any cat on my property usually suffered a certain 'caliber' of lead poisoning. I like my songbirds.

7milesup I never use to understand that way of thinking until I moved my office next to a park on the river. This park is a dumping ground for cats. There are three or four crazy people who bring cats here and feed them. These people think they are doing the right thing ,but have no idea of the problems they cause. There are no ground birds where there should be dove, quail and robins. The raccoons, possums and skunks are so fat from the cat food left they waddle when they try to run. What should be a wild life preserve is a disaster of sick ,mangy,fighting cats. At the farm l love watching all the different birds. When I go out to disc open ground the hawks will circle over head looking for an easy meal from the rodents the disc disturb. If I am lucky there my be a pair of kites or an eagle on the mix. I love watching the quail. The best was a couple of years ago were the flock of long eared owls that spent the winter in the cedar tree by the barn and cleaned out all of the rodents in the orchard.

Recently got an excellent tip for baiting rat traps ....
I should edit this - My wife actually re-set one of the traps with just the glue left on the pedal, and caught one !
Which just proves that rodents will eat ANYTHING !
I once did a bunch of carpentry work at a fancy house in the Boston, MA. suburbs - The lady of the house had these fancy cast lead birdbaths in the yard, and they were being completely eaten away by squirrels - Go figure ........

Last edited:
Peppermint oil, real peppermint oil. Spray everywhere. Then lay down dimatacious earth all around the perimeter
Wintergreen oil or Methyl salicylate works well too.

I bought some Methyl salicylate ($$) for revitalizing old rubber motorcycle shock boots and ended up using only a small amount. I'd read where rodents don't like the smell of the stuff, so I pour a little bit on a piece of sponge, put it in tin cans in the corners, and it seems to keep the mice out.

My workshop is an old, drafty pole barn. Mice and moles have been a constant presence. They haven't chewed on anything important yet, I just don't like finding their poop everywhere.

The mice hit again. This is a non conducive hyd line that goes up the boom of a pruning tower.

Attachments

• 9421CE69-8F79-4476-A60D-385DD8EDF4C1.jpeg
    9421CE69-8F79-4476-A60D-385DD8EDF4C1.jpeg
    692.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 1F497AF5-439B-46A4-83DA-343867455C20.jpeg
    1F497AF5-439B-46A4-83DA-343867455C20.jpeg
    272.8 KB · Views: 13
Da
The mice hit again. This is a non conducive hyd line that goes up the boom of a pruning tower.
Damn creatures are a nightmare - They ate some sensor wires on my Ford Expedition - It threw every code in the book !
Hours to fix :-(

We live in the north FL. woods, home of the Florida Wood Rat (Neotama floridana) - There was a HUGE acorn crop this year, and the nasty little beasts are running rampant!
Edit - Death count is up to 8 today .....

Back