I guess it was machining deals week and you guys forgot to tell me...

shooter123456

Registered
Registered
I got some killer deals on machining related items last week, figured I would share.

First, I was looking for an end mill with at least 1.5" LOC. That was really all I needed. Material, number of flutes, flute width, shank width, overall length, etc all didn't matter as long as it could cut 1.5". I came across an eBay auction for 10 used end mills and I bid on it. I won, and paid $18 shipped for these end mills:

K3VXRgn.jpg

They are all regrinds, but with the exception of the bottom left 2 end mills, they all look like they weren't used after being reground. Those two have chipped teeth at the very bottom. The bottom right one has a 3/8" shank if that helps with scale. I was pumped to get all of them for that price to say the least. Most are way too big for my little mill, but if I ever get a larger mill (I sure hope so one day...) they will be awesome.

Then, checking out some of the sellers other auctions, I came across a "large lot of various carbide inserts". I counted it up and there were 41 inserts of 9 different varieties. None of them were chinese and all were unused. I bid and won for $26 shipped. I looked them all up and found most of them from McMaster Carr and they would have cost me $846 if I bought them from a retailer.

Here's what I got.
ccRzuaH.jpg

Here is a closer shot.
OlAS12J.jpg

I plan to make some holders for them and see how they work.

Last, someone told me about a scrap yard nearby that had a bunch of shelves full of cut offs and various other materials you can pick through and get materials for cheap.

I got:

2 1x3x6 aluminum bars
1 .5x8x28 aluminum bar
2 5/8x8" 304 Stainless bars
1 1/4x6" 304 Stainless bar

for $27! I plan to use the half inch aluminum bar to make a fixture plate for my mill and I have an idea for plates for the vise, spin indexer, and other fixture plates to be able to swap them quickly.

DCOLI4D.jpg

Next time it is machining deals week, please give me a heads up. I didn't see it coming, but it was still awesome.

I would love to hear about some of your best machining deals too.

Back