I found this 14-1/2" South Bend, I would appreciate your comments.

Thats a fantastic looking lathe. As far as I'm concerned the price (which seems completely reasonable to me) isn't the biggest factor. If you get what you want and your happy with it that's what counts, its an expensive hobby no matter what way you look at it, so I just don't look.

Shawn

I agree with that, Looks like a good deal....And the main thing now is, it's yours. Crazy?? I think we are all a bit crazy to buy industrial machines for our basements or garages, but not as crazy as the people strapping on devices and bowling with their TV's (no offence if any one here does that.)
Good luck with that beauty

Consider your needs. Do you have enough room for it? Is this machine the correct size for the work you do? What is the motor set up for, if its 3 phase more of a problem in the home shop than if its 230 volt single phase. How will you move it. If something breaks some day can parts be obtained? Will you loose a customer if it takes too long to get parts?

Does it come fully tooled: (ex.) Steady rest, Follower rest, 4 Jaw Chuck, Face plate, Drive Plate full set of usuable collets, taper attachment etc.; if no start subtraction from the price.? If its fully tooled and in excellent condition probably OK price on the high side for a used machine.

If its not a business decision, and you want this cool lathe in the home shop and have $3,500 in the pocket, GO FOR IT!

The machine looks good from the pictures.

Personally, I think you should have held out for a clapped out machine with no accessories and paid only $750 for it. Would keep you busy the rest of your life locating all the needed "stuff" and rebuilding it. At the end, you'd probably have not a penny more the 5 G's in it. And probably not a penny less, either.

Great machine, good buy. Enjoy.

Bill

Thank you to everyone for your comments and support. The RPC is on its way, once I get the remainder of my tooling I'll be making chips. Can't wait. I really enjoy the support here, and I appreciate the respectful nature of the forum. Thanks again.

I think you got a helluva nice lathe for a good price, CD! Congrats on her! Only one thing though... where's the "moving" pics? Come on, we all wanna see them. :)

I wouldn't call it a steal, but you definitely got your money's worth ;) If I had to make a list of things a lathe like this would require for that price point, I think your purchase pretty much describes it! You could have spent that much on a no-name lathe brand new....but it certainly wouldn't hold its value like this one. I think you did well....enjoy the machine!

P.S. Am I the only one who thinks those guys were "holding out on you"? Kind of funny how the accessories magically appeared once you offered a good price...LOL :rofl:

Hmmm, that's a good point. I hadn't considered that. The parts on ebay would be worth a lot. I'm very happy with it even though all I can do right now is look at it. RPC shipped today, getting anxious to make something. Been shopping all day for some tool holders. It has a 100 series KDK tool post. I found several available on ebay and bought the one that was new. I have to wait until the holder gets here to see what bit size it takes. Wow being a total noob has its challenges. If anyone knows where to find some KDK holders please let me know. Thanks for all the help.

Wow, I think you got a great deal. I've been looking for a lathe for a while now and I would love to find one like that here in Alberta. Although there are quite a few that come up for sale, they are almost always huge industrial machines. I am considering one of the Chinese imports but if I would prefer a classic quality machine like yours. You did very well I think, it's clean, we'll maintained and came with most of the extras you'll ever need. Congrats on a great find.

John

Great find, especially with all the documentation.
Your real lucky to have a 13" instead of a 14.5 believe me, I have a 14.5 X 16 and I will be watching for parts on E-bay for some time to come.

Again, great score!

Back