I found this 14-1/2" South Bend, I would appreciate your comments.

you just avoided spending a ton of money and a lot of time when you got the lathe. you probably would not have done any better trying to piece one together!
i said it once, i'll say it again, Nice Lathe
:drool:

Rare to find one that complete. Very nice!

I think you stole it myself. You got everything all in one shot and it's in great shape too. You did great!

Very nice, you'll never have to buy another one.

The ridge on the bottom of the bed way front side seems odd, usually the ridge is near the top of the V. I would pull the saddle and check the ways in there too.

I should probably do that but I can't stop using it long enough to take it apart. I love this thing. Btw, my collet set came in and I'm still getting leases than .001 tir. It's running about .0007. I couldn't be more pleased. If I could change one thing it would be the tool post. KDK tool holders are tough to find and expensive. I've bought several but still don't have everything I want. Maybe I should sell them and buy one of the Dorian sets? Anyway it's a small issue.

Great buy... and IMHO at a pretty good price for all the tooling that you got too. Enjoy.

I just got a SB 13" myself last week... with NO tooling other than a taper attachment and faceplate.
Yup unfortunately mine has been sitting for awhile, (High school Welding class!?!) so it also came with its fair share of surface rust too.

Thank God for eBay. I've since scored a South Bend 13” lathe small spindle Collet holder with 11 SB#2 collets...
a South Bend 13” Rebuild Kit (wicks, wipers etc.) & Manual... and a couple lexan chuck shields.

Next comes the Collet Rack... 3 and 4-jaw chucks... lathe dogs, tool holders etc... Rotary Phase Converter (& Wiring) :bitingnails:... and on… and on.

Then the restoration begins (in between other projects.)
Electrolysis… Soda blasting… Eastwood's No-lead Solder or All-Metal filler… Epoxy paint… etc. etc.
It will be awhile before I'm making chips... Should be interesting.:LOL:

Last edited:
Sanctifier, I see your from TT. Spent some time in Point Lisas. Fascinating country, I really enjoyed the people I worked with down there. Good luck with your restoration.

Sanctifier, I see your from TT. Spent some time in Point Lisas. Fascinating country, I really enjoyed the people I worked with down there. Good luck with your restoration.
Thanks Chainsaw. Yup, in spite of the idiot politicians, Trinidad & Tobago is a pretty good place to live; with opportunities to make a decent living.

If only these idiot politicians would give us a break with this ridiculous Rate of Exchange! (US $1 = TT$6.45)... Then it would be GREAT.
Meanwhile I'll just have to creep along, slowly equipping my ToyRoom.

http://www.zorce.com/zforums/viewtopic.php?p=22167#22167

I still want an SB 16/24" eventually since I already have most of the tooling but I'll always hold onto this SB 13"...
With a couple drive-pulley upgrades, it will make a GREAT wood-turning lathe after I get the 16/24 in a couple years time.
After this restoration, next up for the ToyRoom has to be a decent Milling Machine. (This one will have to be restored in advance.):LOL:

Last edited:
Back