I can't believe I just did this...............

Shortly after I got my Tormach CNC mill, I drilled into my table due to a malfunctioning controller. I made a plug and fitted it using siper glue to hold it . Then I finished the plug flush with the surface. The repair is barely visible. Some time later, I drilled three 1/8" holes about 1`/8" deep in the table. I haven't bothered to plug them. I also purposely drilled and reamed a 3 x 4 pattern of holes for 3/16" dowel pins for locating fixture plates. I used to fill them with grease when I wasn't using them but I haven't had a problem with chips collecting in them so I don't bother with that any more.

In your case, the hole is over the Tee slot and not deep enough to collect chips. I would be concerned about weakening the Tee slot if I drilled deep enough to fit a plug and I would just leave it. It will not reduce functionality in any way.

The first ding on a new machine is always the toughest one to reconcile. Sometimes, I think one should purposely mar a new machine so the first accident wouldn't be so traumatic.

Actually, it's not my first ding. :(

Other ones are much smaller and not as noticeable. This one is large and quite clearly visible.

I was thinking of using JB Weld to fill, but the challenge is to level it without marring the surrounding area. Good point about the Tee slot location.

I might just leave it for now.

BTW, this one is CNC related. I was drilling holes 2.5" which is more than my quill travel. So, I was drilling as deep as possible with the quill and then using the CNC MDI to lower the head 1". Then, I was using the quill again to finish to depth. This time, I thought why not just use the G1 function to go full depth without the quill. Sadly, I forgot to reset the Z axis to zero at the top of the material. This is what caused it. Maybe, someone will benefit from my goof.

Actually, it's not my first ding. :(

Other ones are much smaller and not as noticeable. This one is large and quite clearly visible.

I was thinking of using JB Weld to fill, but the challenge is to level it without marring the surrounding area. Good point about the Tee slot location.

I might just leave it for now.

BTW, this one is CNC related. I was drilling holes 2.5" which is more than my quill travel. So, I was drilling as deep as possible with the quill and then using the CNC MDI to lower the head 1". Then, I was using the quill again to finish to depth. This time, I thought why not just use the G1 function to go full depth without the quill. Sadly, I forgot to reset the Z axis to zero at the top of the material. This is what caused it. Maybe, someone will benefit from my goof.
Been there, done that. I use T0 for my reference zero and tool offsets for all my tools. On occasion, I have failed to use T0 when setting the zero, using one of the tool offsets. Since most of my tools are shorter than the digital indicator I use to reference the work, it results in driving the tools deeper than intended. After a couple of episodes, I have gotten into the practice temporarilly shifting my zero up by 1`" and verifying my tool offsets for an air run on a new program.

Shortly after I bought my first real chainsaw, I was feeling pretty confident and attempted to fell a relatively large (16 in. DBH) dead fir near my house. It didn't go as planned. It went the wrong direction and hung up in some smaller trees, with the obvious intention of falling on the power drop from the pole to my house in the next strong wind. I called a friend who showed up with bull-rope and truck. We succeeded in pulling it over safely. He instructed me to leave the stump as a reminder. It's still there.

" Witness marks " provide character to machine tools . :encourage:

Back