I can not figure out how to get proper thread pitch set

corbinace

Registered
Registered
I am working on a Delta-Rockwell 11x36 lathe.

I need 28 tpi. I am able to get to 14 by using the 48 tooth gear when the chart calls for the 24. With the called for 24, I was at 7 tpi.

I am sure I am just missing something, but my inexperience is preventing me from seeing it.

Can you please help?

Below is how the gears are set, how the selectors are set and the chart.

20240210_165519.jpg
20240210_165538.jpg
20240210_165505.jpg

Which two gears in the photo were you swapping?
I don't have a Delta, but on my South Bend, when it calls for a different stud gear, it is talking about the gear at the end of the spindle, which would be the very top gear in your first photo.
You don't change the gear at the end of the QCGB (two gears on one shaft). That is just where the spare stud gear is stored.
You swap the stud gear at the top with the spare from the input shaft. In this picture you have the 48 tooth on the top and the 24 tooth is in storage.
I hope I didn't miss-lead you and will bow to anyone with direct experience on your Delta machine.

Are you sure the drive gear configuration is right? ie not just the stud gear but the driven gear?

Picture from a manual?

Maybe someone swapped the driven gear for some unknown reason.

I'm not familiar with your lathe but from the chart, it appears that you have the gear box selectors set right. I believe that you have to flip the two gears so you are driving the 24t gear instead of the 48t gear.

I do not have a manual for my exact machine.
I found the below verbiage in a manual that is for a unit similar to this one:

Fifty-four threads from 4 to 224 per inch can be cut by shifting the left and right tumbler levers and by changing one stud gear In the gear train. This is a gear type transmission which allows the operator to quickly select 54 different speeds of the Lead Screw. These speeds are really 54 different ratios relative to the speed of the spindle of the headstock. There are two input speeds of the gear box, obtained by exchanging the 24 tooth and 48 tooth stud gears mentioned above. The 48 tooth stud gear should be used only for chasing threads 4 through 7 pitch. The 24 tooth stud gear should be used for all other threads and for all power feeding. If this rule is violated, the thread and feed chart on the Quick Change Gear Box will not give correct readings. With the Quick Change Gear Box set for any of the eighteen (18) thread pitches from 4 through 14, the power feeds which could then theoretically be used, are too fast for all practical purposes. Therefore, in practice, the 48 tooth stud gear should not be used for power feeding, and the power feeds are not shown on the top two rows of the chart where threads 4 through 14 are indicated.

The gears in the picture above are the ones that drive the feed screw. There is a 48 and 24 tooth gear that are stacked on top of each other. I did not see another place to put those gears but I will look tomorrow morning when I can get back to the lathe. The machine came in the configuration shown. I swapped the gear and adjusted the idler to make them engage and it made it go to 7tpi with the 24T in use.

Due to the adjustable idler gear (the one in back in the photo) and the arm it rides on being able to accomodate either diameter of gear, I thought it looked like that was the swapping place. The idler gear is slid along the idler arm by loosening the nut on the face of the gear. The idler shaft is pivoted to attain proper backlash by loosening the square pinch bolt in the foreground of the pic. The gears are both splined to drive a shaft and I assumed....

There are many more gears above the three shown, so maybe it goes somewhere else. What piper184 says makes sense because if there is a bigger drive gear up higher, making it smaller would reduce the driven gear speed, which is what I think I need.

I know these old lathes are all different and I really appreciate your efforts in helping with this dilemma. Given my less than adequate descriptions, it is an even bigger challenge, so thank you.

I am working on a Delta-Rockwell 11x36 lathe.

I need 28 tpi. I am able to get to 14 by using the 48 tooth gear when the chart calls for the 24. With the called for 24, I was at 7 tpi.

I am sure I am just missing something, but my inexperience is preventing me from seeing it.

Can you please help?

Below is how the gears are set, how the selectors are set and the chart.

View attachment 477790
View attachment 477789
View attachment 477788
Are missing the 24 tooth gear?

Dave

No, the gear is on the near shaft in a storage position in the first picture.

I found this picture online of a machine like mine. It shows two 48T gears where mine has both a 24T and a 48T. I am thinking that 24T goes above someplace like piper184 mentions.

1707632730830.png

Woohoo! 28tpi.
As pointed out several times, the 24T gear needed to be installed higher in the gear train. I did that and viola 28tpi.

20240211_094434.jpg

Here they are on a piece of painted scrap.
You might be able to see where I was able to follow the original 14tpi. A small win for me, having never cut a thread previously.
17076738438964351578949998857725.jpg

Back