I call them "SKOOKUM SHEDS"

cathead

CATWERKS LTD
Registered
Over the years, I have learned a technique using a band saw for building sheds. I guess it works even if you don't have a band saw.
It starts like this:

P1020812.JPG
Underneath I level 4 pairs of patio blocks and one layer of concrete constructions blocks. Then I lay down two 8x8 oak beams parallel the
long way and cover that with rough sawn two inch 2x8 or narrower material laid flat. Then I cover that with 3/4 CDX plywood. It's
amazing how sturdy this is. Once the base is level, the rest of the construction can take place. I use basically standard 2x4 construction
for the framework. The best part I think is one can apply vertical boards of variable widths for the walls and use battens to cover all
the cracks when finishing up. My latest shed is sort of a combination garden shed/greenhouse project. Poplar trees are plentiful around
here so use that mostly and finish the project with a coat of stain mixed with linseed oil. Since it is not affixed to the ground, the county
assessor really can't tax it since it is movable.

P1030986.JPG
This is a new start in the garden area. It's just 8x8 so enough room for some tools and a solar electric fencer out of the weather.
I used some ash firewood logs to make the verticals and some 12 foot length fir poles for the ridge pole and horizontals. I have some
discarded patio doors that will be south facing and several free used doors with windows to incorporate in the plan. Instead of purlins,
I like to cover the whole roof with one inch boards. That way I can use some free used roofing steel and screw it down anywhere
there are holes in the tin since there is wood beneath. Also it looks nice from the inside looking up at the boards. Today I am working
on the walls and doors and stuff. These buildings can be insulated if desired. I built one in 12x12 several years ago all insulated with
a Norwegian Jotul wood stove making it a cozy hangout. My total building cost will be for the two sheets of 4x8 CDX, some 30 pound felt,
and a few pounds of nails totaling less than $100. I guess that's why I call it a SKOOKUM shed.:grin:

I will try to post another photo as I finish up.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing! Great food for thought, as I am in need of a storage shed and going between building or buying, possible woodpecker and falling tree damage. I do have some fiber cement board for siding, and I have successfully installed it on 1 x 6” furring strips spaced 18” apart on a pole barn that I built before. Lots of ideas floating around in my head.

Thanks for sharing! Great food for thought, as I am in need of a storage shed and going between building or buying, possible woodpecker and falling tree damage. I do have some fiber cement board for siding, and I have successfully installed it on 1 x 6” furring strips spaced 18” apart on a pole barn that I built before. Lots of ideas floating around in my head.
Sleep on it and the solution will likely become readily apparent in the morning. I do this a lot.

Last night just before dark I managed to haul a large poplar log out of my back woods and put it on a trailer.
Early this morning I took it over to the sawmill to saw it into battens. I like something like 1/2 inch by 2 1/2 inches
so sawed it up. It was a little damp but the log peeled easily and I was able to make about 50 battens with a lot
of wood left for something else. I planed the battens on one side and will round the edges off with a router
before installing.

P1030989.JPG
This is the poplar log getting ready for sawing.

P1030992.JPG
Here is a pile of battens planed on one side and on their way to be routered and installed. Well, back to work for me I guess.
Have a good day out there.

I may cut them to size and tack them on on one side. They will stay straight that way and dry quickly. I can nail the
opposing side after they dry some. Some of it is dryer so will start with that stuff. I think they will be better off under
the eaves of the building rather than trying to sticker them leaving them in the elements since rain is predicted soon here.

I may cut them to size and tack them on on one side. They will stay straight that way and dry quickly. I can nail the
opposing side after they dry some. Some of it is dryer so will start with that stuff. I think they will be better off under
the eaves of the building rather than trying to sticker them leaving them in the elements since rain is predicted soon here.
just realize they will shrink .. mostly in width. and if they have a lot of moisture, will mold and rot if in contact with other wood and not allowed to dry. But being that you have a saw mill, you know more than me.. I'm just a woodworker, not a sawyer.

just realize they will shrink .. mostly in width. and if they have a lot of moisture, will mold and rot if in contact with other wood and not allowed to dry. But being that you have a saw mill, you know more than me.. I'm just a woodworker, not a sawyer.
Don't degrade yourself. One learns from experience so that is what I am doing. You are right, length will stay about the same but what
generally will happen is that the nails will have then tandency to pull the battens apart if not dry. I ended up piling all the routered
battens in the shed for a day or two and go from there. It's looking good from my perspective so will make another post on the
progress. I like the routered corners on the battens and they look great installed. I will post another photo of the progress.
Thanks all!

Back