I bought inserts that were too small

I ended up buying these because it will be shipped from the USA:
3ED3E7F2-9148-462C-BA5D-DE002529E584.png

HSS inserts for indexable tools aren't really common.. The only one I'm aware of that makes them is AR Warner.

I am okay to pass on HSS for now. Many of the descriptions for HSS inserts indicate that they are to be used for cutting aluminum.

Half of the inserts in the Precision Matthews kits looked like HSS in that they are silver in color. I will try to post a link of what I’m talking about.

It would appear that these would be the inserts to buy for cutting aluminum. I did end up buying these.
D2A179D0-7DC6-4C72-A1E5-C251CB838645.png

Last edited:
I ended up buying these because it will be shipped from the USA:
View attachment 325761

Mitsubishi are the most commonly counterfeited inserts. Not saying these aren't decent inserts, just that there's a good chance they're fake (and overpriced). I've bought lots of the cheapest most economical inserts I could find (<$5/pack) and have found them to be perfectly serviceable. For general, home shop work, I wouldn't be worrying about insert coatings or special grades, those become important for CNC production work. The ones you ordered for steel will cut aluminum just fine.

I'm floating in the same boat, inserts are maddeningly complicated to me. "Just look for this" , then find inserts with more letters, and decimal point numbers than you can shake a stick at. I can find the first 6-8 or so letters/numbers on the charts, but I'm not finding applications, I'm still figuring that out. HSS is easier for application, but geometry is a question mark too, Mikey's HSS thread has a lot of info for that.

I'm floating in the same boat, inserts are maddeningly complicated to me. "Just look for this" , then find inserts with more letters, and decimal point numbers than you can shake a stick at. I can find the first 6-8 or so letters/numbers on the charts, but I'm not finding applications, I'm still figuring that out. HSS is easier for application, but geometry is a question mark too, Mikey's HSS thread has a lot of info for that.

I know searching for the right insert type & grade for your needs can be frustrating but if you want an easier solution, although I haven't dealt with him personally, contact Curtis at latheinserts.com. Tell him what holders you have & what materials you want to machine. He'll sell you what you need. His prices are fair & carries good stuff but they are not ebay china prices.

Thanks Will, I have a newbie phobia about calling places, I read sites for charts etc, but I hate to bother people. I can just see the guy's face at Sandvik rolling his eyes. I'll check it out, thanks. See even you won't turn us on to your guy, so we won't bother them/him...:laughing:

Haha, I don't have a "guy". I'm cheap, I buy 95% of my inserts on ebay. I'm always looking out for deals.

I don't like to call either, I just don't like talking on the phone these days. I will email though although many times a phone call is much quicker to get your answers.

But Curtis is helpful. Before I came to this forum, on another forum he helped many people (hobby guys) & people spoke highly of him. I still see people recommending him even recently. IIRC he used to work for Kennametal. Not sure if things have changed with him. I see he's got a lot more stuff on his website now. Send him an email, won't hurt to ask.

Will do, Will, I crack myself up sometimes.... :)

Back