I bought inserts that were too small

I have purchased some stuff from Chris. Super helpful guy. Yes, he is more money than eBay but I like to support folks like him if I can.

Same boat as you, but perhaps a bit more experience searching for the inserts. I use the same style and size as you for 90% of my turning work. Agree with the above that you need a CCMT32.5x or CCMT09T30x.

Here's my tips.

1. Chinese branded CCGT or CCGX inserts are ground to a razor edge for non-ferrous metals. They also work extremely well in steel and stainless (with shorter insert life). You really should try these, they make turning very pleasurable and cut very similar to sharp HSS. Low cutting forces. Shars sells ZCC (a quality Chinese name brand - yes they exist) for about $5 an insert. They're definitely better than the eBay inserts, but maybe not 5 times better. Here are the ones I just bought 4 packs of (LINK).
  2. Mitsubishi and Sandvik inserts on eBay under $20 for a new pack are certainly counterfit. They do cut, but the edge condition and corner radius accuracy are garbage. I like to use the manufacturer cutting data when possible and it won't match these products. I would not buy again. The VP15TF grade = total garbage. This is supposed to be a specialty grade from Mutsubishi, but it really is Chinese junk (LINK)
  3. Unbranded cheap inserts I have had decent luck with. They do what they claim and I like that they aren't trying to convince you that they are real. $10-15 per box of 10 seems standard and fair for the quality.
  4. Choose a small corner radius unless you really just want to rough stuff in hard. They are more versatile and can do accurate finishing.
  5. Consider picking up a VCMT insert tool. I like the low cutting forces from the narrow insert when I am doing finishing and turning narrow workpieces.
-Mike

I think I did the exact opposite...bought the large, needed the small. If I didn't return them, I'd swap ya

There are some good websites to guide one through the insert codes. I don't have a link handy just now but a search should turn one up. I needed to match up some tooling and used a site which then helped me find some great deals on ebay for NOS USA made inserts. I was able to get 10 packs for the retail of single inserts.

An additional issue is there is more than one standard for coding, and the site I used also gave crossover info. If I can find the site I used I will post the link.

I also like supporting the local guy.
There is a tooling supplier just a short walk from where I work, I just take my tool in with me and tell them I need something to fit this and cut that and he sets me up. WHen I need some thing special I can go in and describe my dilema and they set me up right. Are they the cheapest, heck no, but they know their cutting tools as that is all they sell and I would hate to see them go away.

I, too, ended up with a pack of inserts that were too small. Rather than return them (shipping was more than the inserts cost), I ordered a 10mm shank LH turning tool. Now I have an inserted fly-cutter.

Back