I bought a basket case, quick change and feed rod problems.

Jbrracer

Registered
Registered
Hi all,

I bought a basket case g4003 variant but it was priced right.

The first issue I’m having is the quick change levers while on the feed rod setting and the same issue but lesser when on the half nuts. The quick change levers are moving up and down while in pin holes, some times one will even eject itself from its position. One of the levers has been repaired seems well done but could be the issue. I’m not against ordering one or two new ones from grizzly they aren’t horribly expensive. I did turn a new shaft that they are on the old one was also diy and too short. The clearance between the shaft and levers is pretty tight but does spin with some resistance, maybe that could be part of the issue but I’m unsure.

The shaft with the gear that runs the feed rod it’s counter part on the apron fell off, it wasn’t clipped or bolted but did have a split roll pin driven in to shaft and gear laterally, which doesn’t seem right. I thought about re drilling where old pin was and replacing with another and maybe tapping the end for a small bolt.

Anyone see an issue with this?

If I am seeing the picture correctly, it used a set screw (grub screw) in place of where you found a roll pin. That was a fairly common way of doing it.

Looks like some botched repairs that you will now have the pleasure of re-doing. The levers moving up and down means wear and/or something not being concentric on it's shaft- You might have to bore and bush one or more gears and possibly re-make a shaft or two
Fortunately many Grizzly parts will fit it

Well thanks everyone it didn’t take long to make some chips, big shout out to mark for all the motor help! It just needs touched up some new pins, a tap is broken of in the feed rod.(not my work). A back plate for one of my three jaws or a new three jaw. Build some change gears or buy from grizzly. I made three gears for the g4000 so I’d just need 1.5m cutters.

Now the big q!
Do I tear it all down clean and paint or just use as is…..

I’d like to make a new chip tray, I say make because grizzly wants 550 plus shipping for some box tube and plate. I could probably make 4 or 5 of them for that much. The tray that’s on it needs put to pasture.

I’ll toss in a few pictures of it if anyone cares or wants to see them.

Added a first chips video.

Ps does anyone have a wedge style TP kit rusting away somewhere?

Attachments

• IMG_6965.MOV
    33.1 MB
Scotch key butchered with a roll pin or dowel, that'll be fun to fix.

Looks like a prime candidate for an ELS conversion. Yes, you can fix what's there but honestly, why? If my lathe looked like that I'd be looking for a way to make it work right without limiting it to the original design. You can do whatever make you happy but life is short and using the time to make it into an ELS shoule ought to make it

Looks like a prime candidate for an ELS conversion. Yes, you can fix what's there but honestly, why? If my lathe looked like that I'd be looking for a way to make it work right without limiting it to the original design. You can do whatever make you happy but life is short and using the time to make it into an ELS shoule ought to make it
I’m guessing els is electronic lead screw?

Scotch key butchered with a roll pin or dowel, that'll be fun to fix.
It really wasn’t to bad with a really sharp drill, but drilling on two dissimilar materials at the same time is rough but it works now.

Back